Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Are these expressions okay?

1. He will come here by the 7 o'clock train.
2. He will come here by 7 o'clock train.
3. He will come here on the 7 o'clock train.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Are these expressions okay?

1. He will come here by the 7 o'clock train.
2. He will come here by 7 o'clock train.
3. He will come here on the 7 o'clock train.

#3 please. You will not hear #'s 1 or 2 in AmE.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
You won't actually hear "he will come here" by any train, in any English dialect. We'd say arrive, or come.

Snappy

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Let me confirm one more thing.
"* went by the * o'clock train" is found in native speakers' writings.
Is this a non-standard expression or "went by the * o'clock train" is idiomatically exceptional?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Is this a non-standard expression or "went by the * o'clock train" is idiomatically exceptional?

Two points:
1. I don't entirely agree with konungursvia when he says, "You won't actually hear "he will come here" by any train, in any English dialect. We'd say arrive, or come." It may not be common, but it's possible.
2. In your example (above), will come is now went. Still, with COME or GO, on is probably more common, but by is possible.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
My point is that "come here" is a particular sort of phrase, and is usually imperative. If you're using a future indicative mood and tense, just "come" would suffice, and sound natural. Or, you could use "arrive". But in such a case, "come here" sounds like a non-native mixing registers.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
My point is that "come here" is a particular sort of phrase, and is usually imperative. If you're using a future indicative mood and tense, just "come" would suffice, and sound natural. Or, you could use "arrive". But in such a case, "come here" sounds like a non-native mixing registers.

This may be true of your dialect. Arrive or come are possibly more likely than come here in my dialect for the original sentence, but come here is perfectly natural.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I am suggesting it is not very natural when juxtaposed with a means of transport. Perhaps you're getting too used to Czech, and have lost touch with English to some extent.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, but - strangely - not 'come'. It seems to be an elided version of 'went by [train: specifically,] the N o'clock train.'

b

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I am suggesting it is not very natural when juxtaposed with a means of transport. Perhaps you're getting too used to Czech, and have lost touch with English to some extent.

That is, of course, always possible. However, I discussed this with a number of colleagues. Most of the BrE speakers agreed with me that: Arrive or come are possibly more likely than come here in my dialect for the original sentence, but come here is perfectly natural.

Munch

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Japan

Nope. Maybe you are too confident about natural usage in other English dialects? "Come here by X" where X is a form of transport is quite familiar to me.

Reactions: 5jj

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Nope. Maybe you are too confident about natural usage in other English dialects? "Come here by X" where X is a form of transport is quite familiar to me.

That's what I said... if you read the thread, I said it sounds quite natural in the imperative. But for a declarative "He will....." I maintain "come" and "arrive" are far more natural than the phrasal "come here."

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
That's what I said... if you read the thread, I said it sounds quite natural in the imperative. But for a declarative "He will....." I maintain "come" and "arrive" are far more natural than the phrasal "come here."

Fine - in your dialect, geolect or idiolect.

If you read the thread, what I wrote was, "Most of the BrE speakers agreed with me that: Arrive or come are possibly more likely than come here in my dialect for the original sentence, but come here is perfectly natural." (Underlining added).
Munch wrote: "Come here by X" where X is a form of transport is quite familiar to me.(Underlining added.)

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Fine - in your dialect, geolect or idiolect.

If you read the thread, what I wrote was, "Most of the BrE speakers agreed with me that: Arrive or come are possibly more likely than come here in my dialect for the original sentence, but come here is perfectly natural." (Underlining added).
Munch wrote: "Come here by X" where X is a form of transport is quite familiar to me.(Underlining added.)

Yes, I remember that part. Still, I think English abhors redundancy, and it sounds odd to me to add "here" to sentences such as this:

"He will come by bus."

That was my point. By the way, my mother is a Brit and I grew up with her as my main English language model.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
... I think English abhors redundancy Now that is a thought that could start a discussion that would keep going until we have driven readers of this thread insane. If you are interested, we can talk about it by PM, but I don't think it will offer much to other readers,

and it sounds odd to me to add "here" to sentences such as this:

"He will come by bus." I can't argue with that. It sounds odd to you; it doesn't to me. Neither of us is 'right' - and neither is 'wrong'.
5jj

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
By the way, what is a jedjon? Are you a Jedi? :)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
By the way, what is a jedjon? Are you a Jedi? :)

jedjon (always a lower-case initial letter) cannot survive in the singular (though they never take a plural -s). They exist in in the mystic regions between the quatenary and its successor's successor.

Exactly what they are is a mystery that has puzzled sages for the past fifteen days or more. Little is known about them or their habits. The only thing that has been established for certain is that they emerge from their lairs at infrequent times to nibble at the ankles of passing konungursviae (jedjon are known to use only latin plurals).

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I suspected as much.

5jj