Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I laughed at them. "You foolish old aunts," I cried, "for aunts you have turned out to be, the fact that I'm going to be rich doesn't change me at all! And let me tell you, there is going to be no cheeseparing in this house again. You are going to have an income which will enable you to live in the manner to which you have been accustomed."

"for aunts you have turned out to be ??

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I laughed at them. "You foolish old aunts," I cried, "for aunts you have turned out to be, the fact that I'm going to be rich doesn't change me at all! And let me tell you, there is going to be no cheeseparing in this house again. You are going to have an income which will enable you to live in the manner to which you have been accustomed."

"for aunts you have turned out to be ??

I assume that the writer didn't know that the people concerned were his/her aunts until recently, so they have "turned out to be" the writer's aunts.

If something/someone "turns out to be" something, then it means that something else was previously assumed or predicted, but when the truth became clear, it was something different.

The weather forecast predicted it would rain today, but it turned out to be very sunny all day.

The new woman at work seemed really nice, but she turned out to be very nasty.

I thought my gold necklace was very valuable, but it turned out to be worth less than £50.

Tinkerbell

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Thank you very much!

Status
Not open for further replies.