Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Just a simple question. One and a half apples are/is on the table. Which is right? "is" or "are"?

p.s. Just now I looked it up in the dictionary, and found the following two sentences:

One and a half hours are allowed for the exam. An hour and a half is allowed for the exam.

Why? one uses "is", while the other uses "are"? Who can help me?

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Just a simple question. One and a half apples are/is on the table. Which is right? "is" or "are"?

'Are'. More than one apple is involved.

One and a half hours are allowed for the exam.
Correct. More than one hour is involved.

An hour and a half is allowed for the exam.
Correct. The speaker is thinking of a (singular) unit/amount of time.

roseriver1012

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

Then since the speaker can choose to consider it as a unit or not, is it also right to say "One and a half hours is allowed for the exam.", and "An hour and a half are allowed for the exam."?

What about the first sentence I showed? Can it be "one and a half apples is on the table."?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Then since the speaker can choose to consider it as a unit or not, is it also right to say "One and a half hours is allowed for the exam.", Yes and "An hour and a half are allowed for the exam."? No. This type of construction, beginning with the indefinite article, is generally used with a singular verb.

What about the first sentence I showed? Can it be "one and a half apples is on the table."?
No, we are talking of a quantity, of more than one apple. However, we can, in different contexts, consider 'one a a half apples' as a quantity: 'One and a half apples is not much to have for lunch'.

Status
Not open for further replies.