Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,

What's difference between accent and regional dialects?

1984law

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
Hi,

Hi, taghavi
I'm sure that in your country there are dialects. Try to think about people in villages or parts of your coutnry, that they use different words, different expressions compared to the official language - the language everyone is supposed to understand. Dialect means different expressions, differenet verbs and most of the times different accent.
Accent is the way one pronounces the language. Here are two examples. Scottish people have a different dialect compared to Queen's English. They use their own expressions, verbs and they have a different pronounciation.
An example of accent now. In my country we have in the North and South different accents. In the North they pronounce the l very strongly whereas in the South, mildly.
I'm sure you can think of a dialect in your country.

Hope I have been helpful

Ever Student

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi, taghavi
I'm sure that in your country there are dialects. Try to think about people in villages or parts of your coutnry, that they use different words, different expressions compared to the official language - the language everyone is supposed to understand. Dialect means different expressions, differenet verbs and most of the times different accent.
Accent is the way one pronounces the language. Here are two examples. Scottish people have a different dialect compared to Queen's English. They use their own expressions, verbs and they have a different pronounciation.
An example of accent now. In my country we have in the North and South different accents. In the North they pronounce the l very strongly whereas in the South, mildly.
I'm sure you can think of a dialect in your country.

Hope I have been helpful
Hi,
However, sometimes regional dialects lead to phonological distinction. What do you think?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi,

One obvious difference is that 'accent' only refers to the sounds in a dialect. And you know that phonology is only one level of linguistics.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Hi,
However, sometimes regional dialects lead to phonological distinction. What do you think?

Among other things.
Also, we are seeing in the UK the spread of supra-regional sounds-the glottal stop, associated with London, is now heard all over the place.

Ever Student

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Among other things.
Also, we are seeing in the UK the spread of supra-regional sounds-the glottal stop, associated with London, is now heard all over the place.
Hi,
Sorry I am not sure if I get your and Ray's point. I don't know how I can recognize such a difference.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi,
Sorry I am not sure if I get your and Ray's point. I don't know how I can recognize such a difference.
Since a regional dialect can be characterized by it's phonetic, morphological, syntactic and semantic features, it cannot be the same as 'accent', which only describes the sounds of a dialect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dialect
"A dialect is distinguished by its vocabulary, grammar, and pronunciation (phonology, including prosody). Where a distinction can be made only in terms of pronunciation, the term accent is appropriate, not dialect."

Ever Student

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Since a regional dialect can be characterized by it's phonetic, morphological, syntactic and semantic features, it cannot be the same as 'accent', which only describes the sounds of a dialect.

Dialect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"A dialect is distinguished by its vocabulary, grammar, and pronunciation (phonology, including prosody). Where a distinction can be made only in terms of pronunciation, the term accent is appropriate, not dialect."
Thank you very much for making it easier for me to understand.

Linguist__

Member Type
Student or Learner
To add to the discussion, 'dialect' is comparable to 'language' more than accent. As was said, accent is merely the sounds.

A 'language' is a communication system which is idiosyncratic to a group of people, and which can only be understood by those people. So, a person who knows the English language cannot communicate using language to a person who knows the Shona language.

A 'dialect' is a communication system which is also idiosyncratic to a group of people. It differs from language in that other members of other groups can understand each other's 'dialect', but again someone who doesn't know the language cannot know the dialects of a language either.

The boundary between language and dialect isn't always clear. 'Scots' for example, is debated whether it is a seperate language. Even those close to those who speak Scots (i.e English people) have difficulty understanding it. I believe some films that use Scots dialogue have subtitles when shown in England. It isn't just about understanding of course, but also etymology and how the language has developed. A lot of Scots comes not only from English, but also the Gaelic language and from Scandanavia as a result of the Vikings - the Scots word 'bairn' meaning child, for example, when the word in Norwegian/Icelandic/Swedish is 'barn'.

Another example of an unclear boundary is between Norwegian and Swedish. As far as I'm aware, these languages are really dialects of each other, and the distinction to make them seperate languages is a political one rather than a linguistic one. Perhaps someone can clarify, but is there mutual understanding between a Norwegian person and a Swedish person. similar to what would be expected between a person from Wales and a person from New Zealand, for example?

Some dialects are more like the language they stem from, others are closer to being a completely different language. Indeed, there is no doubt that new languages form from initially being a dialect of a language and developing seprately.

Last edited:

Ever Student

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello,
Thank you so much for your explanation. I've learned alot.

To add to the discussion, 'dialect' is comparable to 'language' more than accent. As was said, accent is merely the sounds.

A 'language' is a communication system which is idiosyncratic to a group of people, and which can only be understood by those people. So, a person who knows the English language cannot communicate using language to a person who knows the Shona language.

A 'dialect' is a communication system which is also idiosyncratic to a group of people. It differs from language in that other members of other groups can understand each other's 'dialect', but again someone who doesn't know the language cannot know the dialects of a language either.

Sorry, I am reading Fromkin and I refer to her book; "it is not always easy to understand whether "the systematic differences" between two speech communities reflect two dialects or two languages.. when dialects become mutually unintelligible- when the speakers of one dialect group can no longer understand the speaker of another dialect group- these dialects become different "languages".

The boundary between language and dialect isn't always clear. 'Scots' for example, is debated whether it is a seperate language. Even those close to those who speak Scots (i.e English people) have difficulty understanding it. I believe some films that use Scots dialogue have subtitles when shown in England. It isn't just about understanding of course, but also etymology and how the language has developed. A lot of Scots comes not only from English, but also the Gaelic language and from Scandanavia as a result of the Vikings - the Scots word 'bairn' meaning child, for example, when the word in Norwegian/Icelandic/Swedish is 'barn'.

Another example of an unclear boundary is between Norwegian and Swedish. As far as I'm aware, these languages are really dialects of each other, and the distinction to make them seperate languages is a political one rather than a linguistic one. Perhaps someone can clarify, but is there mutual understanding between a Norwegian person and a Swedish person. similar to what would be expected between a person from Wales and a person from New Zealand, for example? Actually, Are you going to mention that the same/similar "dialects" may produce near distance among different languages?

Some dialects are more like the language they stem from, others are closer to being a completely different language. Indeed, there is no doubt that new languages form from initially being a dialect of a language and developing seprately.

CHOMAT

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France

Another example of an unclear boundary is between Norwegian and Swedish. As far as I'm aware, these languages are really dialects of each other, and the distinction to make them seperate languages is a political one rather than a linguistic one. Perhaps someone can clarify, but is there mutual understanding between a Norwegian person and a Swedish person. similar to what would be expected between a person from Wales and a person from New Zealand, for example?

it is also a matter of synchrony and diachrony :languages can also be regarded as dialects in diachrony: To some extent, French is a dialect of Latin..
In synchrony it is a language with various dialects...

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The boundary between language and dialect isn't always clear.

There's no clear definition and in different parts of the world, there are very different views. In Europe, Czech and Slovak are regarded as languages, yet, apparently, they are closer to each other than some of the dialects spoken in China. The classification has much to do with borders, history and politics.

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
There is also the matter of "prestige dialect" -- and of "register" (I may be using archaic linguistic terms.)
Here in the USA it is not prestigious to pronounce "creek" as /krik/. As an English teacher and a graduate of Harvard I know that only too well, and yet I cannot bring myself to pronounce it the way people from a city would.
In my dialect we have a second person plural pronoun -- "you'unz" -- which is almost toxic to the ear of many people and utterly unprestigious. But I like to point out that it solves a problem with English that has to be dealt with otherwise paraphrastically e.g. "all of you" or "you students".
I shift my register a little when I am teaching. If I am sitting down and talking to a lawyer, I shift it a lot.
I am not sure if I have already mentioned it in this forum, but I care enough about my dialect that I at times use my own spelling system for writing it. I call it "Artok Ruy'n", which transcribed into Standard English would be "Our Talk Writing" (or "speech")

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Dear .... Taghavi,
I think now you realise the differences...however, let me give you this examples of dielects and accents from our own country. You see Turks and Guilaks speak Turkish and Guilaki both of which, in our country are considered as dielects, as they have slightly different structures and different lexicons...Yet, the Turkish spoken in Tabriz is different to that spoken in Ardabil, not due to a difference in the lexicons or structures, but the way the people pronounce words, put stress on specific items, or speak more explosively,...etc. People having different accents won't have problem understanding each other...hope this helps...

Ever Student

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Dear .... Taghavi,
I think now you realise the differences...however, let me give you this examples of dielects and accents from our own country. You see Turks and Guilaks speak Turkish and Guilaki both of which, in our country are considered as dielects, as they have slightly different structures and different lexicons...Yet, the Turkish spoken in Tabriz is different to that spoken in Ardabil, not due to a difference in the lexicons or structures, but the way the people pronounce words, put stress on specific items, or speak more explosively,...etc. People having different accents won't have problem understanding each other...hope this helps...
Hello Mehrgan,
Thank you so much for your explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.