Student or Learner
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi,

I am trying to learn english. I am wating movies english movies to improve my english.

please explain me meaning of the below line.

That? My grandmas Buick can smoke that piece of sh*t trailer
trash !

Last edited by a moderator:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I am trying to learn [STRIKE]e[/STRIKE] English. I am watching [STRIKE]movies[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]e[/STRIKE] English movies to improve my [/STRIKE] e[STRIKE]e[/STRIKE] English.

[STRIKE]p[/STRIKE] Please explain [STRIKE]me[/STRIKE] the meaning of the [STRIKE]below[/STRIKE] line below.
Welcome to the forum, srivalli. :hi:

I would suggest that, rather than try to learn English from films that contain this extremely informal, slangy language, you concentrate on the basics:

Start every sentence with a capital letter.
Use a capital letter for languages and adjectives of nationality.

If you are going to watch films to help improve yoor language, then select films in which reasonably educated people are depicted.

srivalli_b

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Telugu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Thansk for your mail.

I have to go to onsite with in 3 months. But I did not understand US Pronunciation. That's why I prefered to watch the movies. Please explain me the meaning of above sentence.

TomUK

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
UK
I am not sure what you mean by 'I have to go to onsite'. Are you going to the US or are you starting work in a call centre where you have to talk to US callers? In either case my advice as a fellow student is to concentrate on learning the vocabulary you will be using in your job. Learning to understand vulgar slang expressions should be at the bottom of your list of priorities. For understanding people speaking wirh American accents - that will come over time when you had some practice listening to them. In the meantime you could try watching some American soaps.

TomUK

santimarti

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi

I´d like to suggest you to not only listenning to movies or reading books, you should write as much as you can and then speak a lot also, that´ll help yoy I think. I´m doing that and it´s very good.

Good luck

Pam Cardoso

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
India
Hi,

I am trying to learn english. I am wating movies english movies to improve my english.

please explain me meaning of the below line.

That? My grandmas Buick can smoke that piece of sh*t trailer
trash !

You can try easy stories with same language subtitles, try BookBox they have a collection of stories for beginner learners.

Status
Not open for further replies.