Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hello,

today I was surprised by collocations "light user" and "heavy user" in the context of web traffic: "The model (i.e.: the metered paywall model used by online newspapers requiring paid subscription, DS) is designed to allow the paper to retain traffic from light users, which in turn allows the paper to keep their number of visitors high, while receiving circulation revenue from the site´s heavy users."

In my mother tongue one could use such a collocation just in the context of drug addiction - how is it in English? Does it sound "natural" even in such contexts as is the one mentioned previously - or even in other contexts?

Thanks

David

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello,

today I was surprised by collocations "light user" and "heavy user" in the context of web traffic: "The model (i.e.: the metered paywall model used by online newspapers requiring paid subscription, DS) is designed to allow the paper to retain traffic from light users, which in turn allows the paper to keep their number of visitors high, while receiving circulation revenue from the site´s heavy users."

In my mother tongue one could use such a collocation just in the context of drug addiction - how is it in English? Does it sound "natural" even in such contexts as is the one mentioned previously - or even in other contexts?

Thanks

David

Those terms can be used for users of a service.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Also, Internet addiction does exist.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Also, Internet addiction does exist.
I am going to be largely without internet for some five weeks, starting tomorrow morning. I recently survived two and a half weeks, but I am not so sure about five. I'm sweating at the mere thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.