[Grammar] Using "that" twice

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmyYvonne

Member Type
Student or Learner
If I am making a statement about something I enjoy doing, how can I state it a correct format without the overuse of that? Here is what I would like to say in the correct form or sentence: " I can do that I am ivigorated by doing." or "I can do that that invigorates me."

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
'I do what invigorates me.'

Rover

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi, AmyYvonne. I'm not a teacher.

You have another option - "that which invigorates me". This is more correct than "that that" since a verb comes straight after it. You shouldn't really say (though this rule is not so strict in English) "the thing that invigorates me", but instead "the thing which invigorates me". SEE EDIT

If you want to improve your English grammar, don't copy Kanye West - "that that don't kill me"!

Edit: Don't kill me - I made a mistake. The preferred version here is "the thing that invigorates me". It is a restrictive clause. "the thing which invigorates me" is okay in informal contexts but it is best to use "that" in this case.

Sorry!

Last edited:

AmyYvonne

Member Type
Student or Learner

You have another option - "that which invigorates me". This is more correct than "that that" since a verb comes straight after it. You shouldn't really say (though this rule is not so strict in English) "the thing that invigorates me", but instead "the thing which invigorates me".

If you want to improve your English grammar, don't copy Kanye West - "that that don't kill me"!

I really appreciate your help. This form of language has haunted me for some time now. I like the second option, thus, I have written this way: "the thing which invigorates me, I am compelled to do." Would this suffice?

Member Type
Student or Learner
I really appreciate your help. This form of language has haunted me for some time now. I like the second option, thus, I have written this way: "the thing which invigorates me, I am compelled to do." Would this suffice?

It doesn't sound very English to use this sentence order. It is better, in terms of the order, to say "I am compelled to do the thing which invigorates me". Similarly, the idiom is "You are what you eat", not "What you eat, you are".

I used "the thing which" as an example of the general rule that I stated - you shouldn't really use it in this sentence. When you say "the thing", it almost sounds like you are referring to something specific. The best way, in my opinion, of saying this is:

"I am compelled to do what invigorates me" or "I am compelled to do that which invigorates me".

But then... what do I know - I'm not a teacher!

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
'I do what invigorates me.' Hmm, this doesn't sound natural to me. I'm not so sure if that's because of the 'what' instead of 'whatever' or 'things that/which', or the 'invigorates me' instead of 'I find invigorating'. Maybe I just can't think of a context where 'I do what invigorates me' would sound natural.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
'I do what invigorates me.' Hmm, this doesn't sound natural to me. I'm not so sure if that's because of the 'what' instead of 'whatever' or 'things that/which', or the 'invigorates me' instead of 'I find invigorating'. Maybe I just can't think of a context where 'I do what invigorates me' would sound natural.
I agree, I would prefer "whatever" or "that which" too.

Allen165

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland

You have another option - "that which invigorates me". This is more correct than "that that" since a verb comes straight after it. You shouldn't really say (though this rule is not so strict in English) "the thing that invigorates me", but instead "the thing which invigorates me".

Why shouldn't one say "the thing that invigorates me"?

Member Type
Student or Learner
Why shouldn't one say "the thing that invigorates me"?

I've just read up on restrictive and non-restrictive clauses and I am wrong. I was relying on a rule I learnt in French and assuming that it was the same in English, i.e., wrongly assuming that que = that, and qui = which.

My apologies!

Status
Not open for further replies.