2) do we use the word maid for males as well

for instance my maid hasnt come today.

Kind Regards

Pallavi

MissHelen

Member Type
English Teacher
Hello))

Yes, they say 'fake friend' and 'fake boyfriend'.

Fake friend means a person who is only your friend when he needs or wants something from you. After he gets what he wants he ignores you.

Fake boyfriend means a boy that thinks and treats you as his girlfriend, but you are not. You let him buy you dinner and movies anyways.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello,

please let me know if this sentence is correct:

1) He is my fake boyfriend.

2) Do we use the word maid for males as well?

For instance, "my maid hasn't come today".

Kind Regards

Pallavi
No, we don't use maid for a male servant. You could use "servant" or "manservant".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No, we don't use maid for a male servant. You could use "servant" or "manservant".

You might also use "butler" or "valet", depending on the duties of the employee in question.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would have thought a "fake boyfriend" was the guy you took to the wedding with you, pretending he was your boyfriend so your well-meaning family members would stop trying to fix you up with someone else.

I've not heard "fake" used the way the other poster described, but I live a sheltered life.

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
A man who performs the duties of a maid could be called a housekeeper, a cleaner, a cleaning man, a cook,etc., depending on his duties. The word housekeeper probably covers the gamut of tasks. In no case would we call him a servant in Amer. Eng.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
A man who performs the duties of a maid could be called a housekeeper, a cleaner, a cleaning man, a cook,etc., depending on his duties. The word housekeeper probably covers the gamut of tasks. In no case would we call him a servant in Amer. Eng.
In Indian English "servant" is the commonly used term.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In Indian English "servant" is the commonly used term.

In BrE, the term servant is rather outdated and can be taken as a sign of class. Only the upper classes generally have/had servants.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
In BrE, the term servant is rather outdated and can be taken as a sign of class. Only the upper classes generally have/had servants.
Ye, I know, but in India many middle class people have servants. When we lived there, our landlord asked us if we would like to have a servant, she was very surprised when we declined, "But, who will do the sweeping?" was her reaction.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Ye, I know, but in India many middle class people have servants. When we lived there, our landlord asked us if we would like to have a servant, she was very surprised when we declined, "But, who will do the sweeping?" was her reaction.

Perhaps I should have said that in Britain, the idea of having servants is rather class-related, as opposed to in BrE.

In my previous job, staff had the opportunity to go and work all over the world for up to three years. In many countries, it was automatically assumed that they would employ servants. Many of my colleagues found the whole idea very uncomfortable, even though they realised that such employment was very important for the local economy. Many of them employed servants, but gave them a lot of time off, didn't expect them to do much of the usual work, but of course still paid them the going rate. They simply weren't comfortable with having someone else do certain household tasks that they were perfectly capable of and willing to do themselves.

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
Thank you Bhaisahab and emsr2d2 for the cultural insights. Here in Brazil, many of my students are surprised to learn that I don´t have a maid.

Status
Not open for further replies.