Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Chile
Current Location
Chile
Hello.

Are the following sentences grammatically correct?

The principal called a meeting to the teacher, Kelly, through an email. Kelly knocked the door and entered in the office. The principal was waiting for her.

-"Hello Kelly. Please have a seat. I've asked you to this meeting, because I need to give you this information in

person. You won the best teacher award several years. Besides you get along with all your colleagues. We have studied your case, and we have decided that the school will propose you for the job at the Ministry of Education.

Kelly saw the principal, surprised and speechless.

-"Do you accept?"

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello.

Are the following sentences grammatically correct?

The principal called [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] for a meeting [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] with Kelly, [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] a teacher, [STRIKE]Kelly,[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]through an[/STRIKE] by/via email. Kelly knocked on the door and entered [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] the office. The principal was waiting for her.

"Hello Kelly. Please have a seat. I've asked you to this meeting (no comma required here) because I need to give you this information in
person. You won the best teacher award several years. (This doesn't work. Do you mean "You won the award several years ago?" or "You have won the award several years in a row?")
[STRIKE]Besides[/STRIKE] Also, you get along well with all your colleagues. We have studied your case (no comma required here) and we have decided [STRIKE]that the school will[/STRIKE] to [STRIKE]propose you[/STRIKE] put you forward for the job at the Ministry of Education.

Kelly [STRIKE]saw[/STRIKE] looked/stared at the principal, surprised and speechless.

"[STRIKE]Do[/STRIKE] Will you accept the job?", asked the principal.

Thanks.

See above.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I'm concerned about why they want to transfer the best teacher out of the classroom.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I was a little confused about the job on offer. It's possible for the school to recommend her for the post of Minister of Education but presumably ministers are appointed by the government. The principal might ask "Are you happy for us to recommend you?" and then, if the answer is "Yes", to follow it up with "And if you were offered the post, would you accept it?"

Nikitus

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Chile
Current Location
Chile
Dear emsr2d2 and Raymott: Thanks for your answers.

You won the best teacher award several years. (This doesn't work. Do you mean "You won the award several years ago?" or "You have won the award several years in a row?")

I understand. I mean: You have won the award several years in a row.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.