Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
1) "There's been a festive atmosphere in the fan zone during Euro 2012."

Could I use the Present Perfect in the above sentence? Would I be sort of extending it to the moment of speaking if I used the Present Perfect instead of the Past Simple?

2) "There had been a festive atmoshere in the fan zone during Euro 2012."

Could I use the Past Perfect here to talk about it as an event that started in the past and ended before another momen in the past?

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
1) "There's been a festive atmosphere in the fan zone during Euro 2012."

Could I use the Present Perfect in the above sentence?
You have used the present perfect. Yes, it's right. It means "So far, there has been ..."
Would I be sort of extending it to the moment of speaking if I used the Present Perfect instead of the Past Simple?
Yes, that's what you've done.

2) "There had been a fastive atmoshere in the fan zone during Euro 2012."

Could I use the Past Perfect here to talk about it as an event that started in the past and ended before another momen in the past?
Yes, but in this case you don't have two events in the past.
You can't use the beginning and the end of Euro 2012 as two events for this purpose. You have only one event - Euro 2012. And incidentally, your sentence uses "during", which refers to one period of time.
Therefore you use the simple past. "There was ..."

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Ray got to every one of the points I was going to make. I guess they CAN read and write in Australia.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Not that I know of; it was just an unprovoked bit of irony, based on the fact that the education system there is so well run (I know Ontario's new curriculum was modelled in part on the Aussies and the Finns).

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Not that I know of; it was just an unprovoked bit of irony, based on the fact that the education system there is so well run (I know Ontario's new curriculum was modelled in part on the Aussies and the Finns).
Ah, then Ontario is going to burden its youth with postmodernist deconstructionism before they have developed literacy and numeracy skills? I really did wonder whether you had been reading about the complaints of poor preparation for beginning university students in Australia; or The Australian's recent campaign to improve awareness of illiteracy and innumeracy among our school teachers.
(I'm not suggesting that this is an exclusively Australian problem, of course. And many of our young people do learn to read and write, despite their education.)

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Could I use it as in "There had been a festive atmosphere in the fan zone before Euro 2012 was over."?

It's been almost a month now since it was over. Could I still talk about Euro 2012 in the Presen Perfect instead of the Pas Simple?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Could I use it as in "There had been a festive atmosphere in the fan zone before Euro 2012 was over."? This is not natural English.

It's been almost a month now since it was over. Could I still talk about Euro 2012 in the Present Perfect instead of the Past Simple? No.

Bhai.

Status
Not open for further replies.