[Idiom] if anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

enydia

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi, teachers.

What does the expression 'if anything' mean?

I googled it and found this page, but I'm even more confused after reading the explanation.:-?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi, teachers.

What does the expression 'if anything' mean?

I googled it and found this page, but I'm even more confused after reading the explanation.:-?

The best definition I can come up with is "if anything is true, it's this......." It usually serves to then state the opposite of the original statement.

She doesn't need to lose weight. If anything, she needs to gain a few pounds.

The bread isn't fresh. If anything, it's actually a bit stale.

The president isn't opposed to war. If anything, he's encouraging it.

enydia

Member Type
Student or Learner
The best definition I can come up with is "if anything is true, it's this......." It usually serves to then state the opposite of the original statement.

Is it formal or informal?

enydia

Member Type
Student or Learner

It seems to be, according to the given example sentences, an emphasis more than an opposite, doesn't it?
:?:

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It seems to be, according to the given example sentences, an emphasis more than an opposite, does it?

In all 3 of my examples, the suggested "truth" is the opposite of the verb/adjective used in the original statement (ignoring the negative part):

lose weight vs gain weight
fresh vs stale
opposed to vs encouraging

Yes, the actual "if anything" part could be said to be used for emphasis, as it would be perfectly possible to say:

She thinks she needs to lose weight. I think she needs to gain weight.

You are still expressing a contrary opinion to the original, but it's not as emphatic.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
It seems to be, according to the given example sentences, an emphasis more than an opposite, does it?
It doesn't always mean that.
We've accomplished very little today, if anything.
(If we accomplished anything today, it wasn't much. It's possible that we accomplished nothing.)

What, if anything, did you do today? (Did you do anything today? If so, what?)
I haven't achieved much, if anything, during my life so far. (If I have achieved anything in my life so far, it isn't much.)

enydia

Member Type
Student or Learner
It doesn't always mean that.
We've accomplished very little today, if anything.
(If we accomplished anything today, it wasn't much. It's possible that we accomplished nothing.)

What, if anything, did you do today? (Did you do anything today? If so, what?)
I haven't achieved much, if anything, during my life so far. (If I have achieved anything in my life so far, it isn't much.)
Long time no see, Teacher Yoda. :-D

RomeDOGG

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hello,

I found this topic while trying to find the grammatical status of the "if anything" phrase. I'm writing a paper on the similar constructions (if any, if anything, if at all, if ever and so on). I wonder if anyone knows, whether these constructions can be considered elliptical or not.

Thanks in advance for your attention!

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hello,

I found this topic while trying to find the grammatical status of the "if anything" phrase.
You found this topic because enydia chooses good thread titles. If only one could persuade all posters of the usefulness of this.

I'm writing a paper on the similar constructions (if any, if anything, if at all, if ever and so on). I wonder if anyone knows, whether these constructions can be considered elliptical or not.

Thanks in advance for your attention!
I don't think so. Ellipsis occurs when a phrase is left out and has to be inferred. If anything, these phrases are inserted, but not necessary - i.e. the opposite of an ellipsis.

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Re: How do we use "if any, if anything, if anyone, if ever"
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinghaizi
[FONT=&#26999]Fill inthe blanks with the following[/FONT]

[FONT=&#26999]if any, if anything, if anyone, if ever[/FONT]

[FONT=&#26999][/FONT]Her expressions, ______ , do not match the occasion.
[FONT=&#23435][/FONT]We rarely , ______, get the benefit of modern medical technology.
[FONT=&#23435]③[/FONT]Yet abuses seem to have become, ________, more widespread.
[FONT=&#26999]④[/FONT]Our voices seldom, _________, were allowed to be heard in the media.
[FONT=&#26999]⑤[/FONT] They say nothing about who, ___________, is to blame.

Answers are:
[FONT=&#26999]①[/FONT]if any[FONT=&#23435]②[/FONT]if ever[FONT=&#26999][/FONT] if anything [FONT=&#26999]④[/FONT]if ever [FONT=&#26999][/FONT]if anyone

Can a dedicated teacher tell me how to distinguish if any, if anything, if anyone and if ever? thanks

Welcome!
Some of the questions are easier than the others.

2 and 4, with "rarely" and "seldom", refer to how often something happens. "if ever" also refers to how often something happens.

'He rarely, if ever, is late for work.' This means that, as far as I know, he is either never late for work or he is rarely late for work.

In 5, "who" refers to a person. And "anyone" is the only choice that clearly refers to a person.
'Who, if anyone, can solve that problem?'

1.. Her expressions, if (she has) any (expressions), do not match the occasion. This means that sometimes she may not have an expression, but when she has an expression it doesn't match the occasion.

3.. "if anything" is often used when there is uncertainty or doubt about something. Sentence 3 means that abuses might not have definitely changed. But if there is a change, it seems the change is to more abuses, not less.

'If anything, we have too much food.'
This sentence means that we might have just the right amount of food. But if it's not exactly the right amount, it's too much food. We don't have too little food.

I hope the above helps.

progress.gif
The above answers are in the context of the poster's specific sentences, but they may be of some use to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.