Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello everybody!

My question is particularly about "handling". My friends and I are busy with a persian text about cranes. It's about issuing ceretificates for cranes and similar vehicles and equipment. We were wondering if it is proper to put "handling and lifting eqiupments" in the title. We are not sure about "handling". In Longman dictionary there are two definitions for handling. The first has nothing to do with picking up objects and ... but the second one mentions picking up things by your hand. Is it possible to use this verb for equipment which pick up objects?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

susiedqq

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Only you can decide if your equipment handles the stock or simply lifts it.

The title would be Handling and Lifting Equipment
(no S on the end)

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Only you can decide if your equipment handles the stock or simply lifts it.

The title would be Handling and Lifting Equipment
(no S on the end)

Thank you.

1- So you mean that it is possible to use the verb "handle" in this sense for equipment.
2- "simply lifting"? So you mean that lifting alone doesn't include (for example) horizental displacement of objects on the air?

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
***I have absolutely no knowledge about heavy machinery of any kind.***

Handling makes me think of just processing and managing things or moving them around (like in "shipping and handling").

I can't think of any meaning of handle (verb) that involves specifically picking something up. Which dictionary did you consult?

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
***I have absolutely no knowledge about heavy machinery of any kind.***

Handling makes me think of just processing and managing things or moving them around (like in "shipping and handling").

I can't think of any meaning of handle (verb) that involves specifically picking something up. Which dictionary did you consult?

Just Longman so far.

If it means "moving them around" then I guess "handling" is good enough.

Any other idea?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

susiedqq

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Handling Equipment

Here, the word handling is NOT a verb.

It is an adjective describing what kind of equipment you are talking about.

Handling equipment could describe a device that could pour, flip, stack, select, sort, move, swing, drill, etc. - any kind of movement where a task is done (other than just lifting it up)

luschen

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi, I am not an English teacher, but I am an electrical engineer. "Materials handling equipment" is a very common term. It can refer to cranes, forklifts and lift trucks. It can also refer to heavy equipment like dump trucks and front end loaders as well as to conveyor belts and automated or robotic handling systems.

Khosro

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi, I am not an English teacher, but I am an electrical engineer. "Materials handling equipment" is a very common term. It can refer to cranes, forklifts and lift trucks. It can also refer to heavy equipment like dump trucks and front end loaders as well as to conveyor belts and automated or robotic handling systems.

So a term like "materials handling/lifting equipment" sounds reasonable, right? Someone suggested that we omit the "materials handling" part because the lifting part covers that area too, but I guess he was not right about this.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
So a term like "materials handling/lifting equipment" sounds reasonable, right? Someone suggested that we omit the "materials handling" part because the lifting part covers that area too, but I guess he was not right about this.
It's not a matter of people being right or wrong. The answer depends on your requirements. However, luchen's answer seems to be the most authoritative. Your above amendment would seem to be as good as anything, if you feel 'lifting' needs to be added for local understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.