[Vocabulary] "Do You Have An Element? " what does "element" mean here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

on the way

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"Do You Have An Element? " what does "element" mean here?
In another case ,there is a sentence as following:
"it became obvious why I have an element of the prude about me."
Does the word element in this sentence mean the same as the first one?
So in all ,please tell me the meaning of these two sentences.Your help will be much appreciated.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
"Do You Have An Element? " what does "element" mean here?
In another case ,there is a sentence as following:
"it became obvious why I have an element of the prude about me."
Does the word element in this sentence mean the same as the first one?
So in all ,please tell me the meaning of these two sentences.Your help will be much appreciated.
Context please.

on the way

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The context for the second sentence "it became obvious why I have an element of the prude about me." is like this:
In an episode of TV series "Miranda",Miranda utters the above-mentioned sentence and then a scenario in recollection unfolds in which Miranda ,intending to borrow something from her parents,walks into their room only to find her parents lying naked in bed.Miranda storms off and says "My eyes".
I would be much obiged if you could be so kind as to help me to understand this sentence.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
The context for the second sentence "it became obvious why I have an element of the prude about me." is like this:
In an episode of TV series "Miranda",Miranda utters the above-mentioned sentence and then a scenario in recollection unfolds in which Miranda ,intending to borrow something from her parents,walks into their room only to find her parents lying naked in bed.Miranda storms off and says "My eyes".
I would be much obiged if you could be so kind as to help me to understand this sentence.
An 'element', in this context, means a small part. An element is a small part of a whole. So Miranda has a prudish part to her personality.

Here's some more examples:
There was an element of racism in his refusal to help.
The element of greed in him has made him a rich person, but he's not well-liked.
The career opportunity was one of the elements of his choice to move to Canada.

PS: "Do you have an element?" is meaningless.

on the way

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
An 'element', in this context, means a small part. An element is a small part of a whole. So Miranda has a prudish part to her personality.

Here's some more examples:
There was an element of racism in his refusal to help.
The element of greed in him has made him a rich person, but he's not well-liked.
The career opportunity was one of the elements of his choice to move to Canada.

PS: "Do you have an element?" is meaningless.
I'm very grateful for Raymott's answer,but I'm still at loss as to the implication of this sentence "it became obvious why I have an element of the prude about me."What does Miranda try to convey?She found her prudish part to her personality?Literally it may mean she is trying to say why she is a little prudish ,but I can't make sense of it in the context I stated.Or in another word ,I just can't catch her drift.So please help me more.:-?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I'm very grateful for Raymott's answer,but I'm still at loss as to the implication of this sentence "it became obvious why I have an element of the prude about me."What does Miranda try to convey?She found her prudish part to her personality?Literally it may mean she is trying to say why she is a little prudish ,but I can't make sense of it in the context I stated.Or in another word ,I just can't catch her drift.So please help me more.:-?
You may need to brush up on Sigmund Freud and pop psychoanalysis. Depending on the age at which these primal sexually charged events and discoveries occur, the child can develop a psychological block to full psychosexual-sexual maturation, and develop fixations of a less-than -mature nature. I know nothing about Miranda, so I won't speculate.

Status
Not open for further replies.