Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
After attending middle school, I began to read novels, essays and so on.

Is "attending" correctly used here? Should I replace it with "entering"?

Thanks!

Jason

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No, that would mean something else. After entering he would be 11 years old. After attending, he would be 14.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In the UK, you "enter" middle school at the age of 7 or 8 and leave at the age of 11.

After I entered middle school, I started reading novels = I started reading novels at the age of 8.
After attending middle school, I started reading novels = I started reading novels at the age of 11.

jasonlulu_2000

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
No, that would mean something else. After entering he would be 11 years old. After attending, he would be 14.

Since your rely is different to emsr2d2, are you talking about the case in a differnt country other than the UK?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you click on the words "Member Info" under any username, you will see their native language, home country and current location. The chances are that they will refer to the system in their home country and/or where they now live. SoothingDave's profile show both his home country and location as the United States so he is talking about the American system.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
After attending middle school, I began to read novels, essays and so on. This would indicate that you began reading novels etc. after you completed middle school.

Is "attending" correctly used here? Should I replace it with "entering"? Use of "entering" would indicate that you began reading novels etc. at some time after you had entered, but not yet completed middle school.

So, it depends on what meaning you want to convey.

Thanks!

Jason

b.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Since your rely is different to emsr2d2, are you talking about the case in a differnt country other than the UK?

Numerically, yes, but not from a linguistic perspective- after entering means that you were reading when you were at the school (and afterwards), while after attending means that you didn't start until you had left the school. The ages are irrelevant to the meaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.