Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
" In UNIX, disk inodes are cached in memory. "
(from Expert C programming p.1555)

Does it means that inodes are first written somewhere and then move to the disk?If so, What is that somewhere?

Or, does it mean inodes are acting as the caches for the physical memory?

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Does it means that inodes are first written somewhere and then moved to the disk? If so, [STRIKE]W[/STRIKE] what is that somewhere? Yes, they are cached (v.) in a cache (n.).

Or, does it mean inodes are acting as the caches for the physical memory? No, an inode is just data, just information, to be stored.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Does it means that inodes are first written somewhere and then move to the disk?If so, What is that somewhere?
That's a question about UNIX internals.
Or, does it mean inodes are acting as the caches for the physical memory?
You seem to have got your answer - by happy accident. This forum deals with language.

b

Most contributors to this forum have as little idea about what an 'inode' is as most C programmers have about how to pronounce 'cache'.:)

Last edited:

SirGod

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
Cache is used to store information that is most probably going to be used again. And that information can be easier (and faster) retrieved from the cache memory than creating it one more time or retrieving it from another place. I am not very knowledgeable in UNIX file-system, but I can give you another example: when you visit a website for the first time, the images are downloaded in a cache memory (in your computer) so next time you visit the website you will not have to download the images again (avoid bandwidth waste, for both you and the server which hosts the website).

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You seem to have got your answer - by happy accident. This forum deals with language.

b

Most contributors to this forum have as little idea about what an 'inode' is as most C programmers have about how to pronounce 'cache'.:)

Is it supposed to sound like "cash"?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is it supposed to sound like "cash"?
Opinions differ, and I imagine dictonaries exist that allow either, but making the a sound /eɪ/ on the strength of the final e seems to me inappropriate; and it flies in the face of the word's derivation (not crucially or unarguably important in itself, but it strikes me as having some weight).

b

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Opinions differ, and I imagine dictonaries exist that allow either, but making the a sound /eɪ/ on the strength of the final e seems to me inappropriate; and it flies in the face of the word's derivation (not crucially or unarguably important in itself, but it strikes me as having some weight).

b

How would you say it?

Cache | Define Cache at Dictionary.com

This only gives the "cash" pronunciation. I would think the French word "cacher" would sound like "cash-eh." (Like a Canadian asking for money.)

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
How would you say it?

Cache | Define Cache at Dictionary.com

This only gives the "cash" pronunciation. I would think the French word "cacher" would sound like "cash-eh." (Like a Canadian asking for money.)

Yes, the infinitive does. That doesn't mean that all French-derived words ending e have to be pronounced as if it were é.

b

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
True. I've never heard anyone pronounce "cache" like "cash-eh." That would grate.

hooshdar3

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thank you all

Status
Not open for further replies.