Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"I was surprised at getting a quick fix to this problem."

OR

""I was surprised by getting a quick fix to this problem."

When do we use "to be surprised at" and "to surprised by"?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"I was surprised at getting a quick fix to this problem."

OR

""I was surprised by getting a quick fix to this problem."

When do we use "to be surprised at" and "to surprised by"?

Neither, really. What surprised you was the speed. I'd say 'I was surprised at how quickly I got the problem fixed' or just 'The speed of the fix surprised me' (avoiding the question of which preposition to use).

If you're surprised by something, you have a physical reaction (or lack of appropriate reaction): For example ' I was surprised by the extra step, and stumbled at the bottom of the stairs'/ 'He was surprised by the unexpected visitor, and went white as a sheet'.

b

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Neither, really. What surprised you was the speed. I'd say 'I was surprised at how quickly I got the problem fixed' or just 'The speed of the fix surprised me' (avoiding the question of which preposition to use).

If you're surprised by something, you have a physical reaction (or lack of appropriate reaction): For example ' I was surprised by the extra step, and stumbled at the bottom of the stairs'/ 'He was surprised by the unexpected visitor, and went white as a sheet'.

b

What if I'm surprised at..... What's the difference? Can I use a quick fix for a quck solution to the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.