[Idiom] What is the meaning of these sentences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

elka021

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,I was watching a movie called "Apocalypse Now" and as I'm not native,I faced lots of difficult expressions and sentences,
would you tell me what is the meaning of having a bad hand and "Close enough to blow their last breath in my face" ?

Thank you in advance.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi,I was watching a movie called "Apocalypse Now" and as I'm not native,I faced lots of difficult expressions and sentences,
would you tell me what is the meaning of having a bad hand and "Close enough to blow their last breath in my face" ?

Thank you in advance.
A "bad hand" can mean anything from being born with a missing finger to having been dealt bad cards at poker. We need context.
If someone is "close enough to blow their last breath in my face", they are probably i) dying and ii) quite physically close to me. That is, the meaning is quite literal. (The movie reference context did give some help with that one).

bodogeri

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
It means that a person (maybe the hero) was extremely close to some other people. "Last breath" points out to the fact that those people (who were close to our hero) were dying. Without context, that's all I could understand.

elka021

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thank you guys...........really appreciate it.
I think I got my answer about ""close enough to blow their last breath in my face" because in this scene he is talking about killing 6 men.
and bout bad hand I should say,before visiting his general,the man broke a mirror with his punch,and after that when general met him,he said: I've noticed you've got a bad hand,are you wounded? (does it mean,it there sth wrong with ur hand?)

guys I really appreciate ur help.This movie is really difficult for me to understand.Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you guys. I really appreciate it.
I think I got my answer about ""close enough to blow their last breath in my face" because in this scene he is talking about killing 6 men.
[strike]and[/strike] About "bad hand" I should say, before visiting his general, the man broke a mirror with his [strike]punch[/strike] fist and, after that, when the general met him, he said "I've noticed you've got a bad hand. Are you wounded?" (Does it mean "[strike]it[/strike] Is there [strike]sth[/strike] something wrong with [strike]ur[/strike] your hand?")

Guys, I really appreciate [strike]ur[/strike] your help.This movie is really difficult for me to understand. Thank you.

Yes, in the context you gave "I notice you have a bad hand" means "I see that there is an injury to your hand".

Please look at the amendments I have made to your post in red. Remember to follow the rules of written English:

- Start every sentence (and direct speech) with a capital letter.
- End every sentence with one punctuation mark.
- Do not put a space before a full stop, comma, question mark or exclamation mark.
- Always put a space after a full stop, comma, question mark or exclamation mark.
- Please don't use textspeak/chatlish on the forum. Use full English words (ie, write "your", not "ur".)

Note the we usually use "punch" as a verb. When you punch, your hand is in a "fist".

The man punched the mirror.
The man broke the mirror with his fist.

elka021

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Yes, in the context you gave "I notice you have a bad hand" means "I see that there is an injury to your hand".

Please look at the amendments I have made to your post in red. Remember to follow the rules of written English:

- Start every sentence (and direct speech) with a capital letter.
- End every sentence with one punctuation mark.
- Do not put a space before a full stop, comma, question mark or exclamation mark.
- Always put a space after a full stop, comma, question mark or exclamation mark.
- Please don't use textspeak/chatlish on the forum. Use full English words (ie, write "your", not "ur".)

Note the we usually use "punch" as a verb. When you punch, your hand is in a "fist".

The man punched the mirror.
The man broke the mirror with his fist.

I really appreciate it.I don't know how to thank you.I'm really happy that I found this forum so I can ask my questions.Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I really appreciate it.I don't know how to thank you.I'm really happy that I found this forum so I can ask my questions.Thank you.

A good way to show your gratitude is to put my advice into practice. Look again at the rules I gave about spacing with full stops. Look the red marks I have made to your post. Each one is an error with the spacing. Try to edit your post so that the spaces around the punctuation are correct.

elka021

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thank you. Appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.