Student or Learner
Native Language
Lithuanian
Home Country
Lithuania
Current Location
Lithuania
Hello everybody,
For example: going, dancing, shaking, clobbering etc.
In the end of these words are "g" letter. So do I need pronounce them when I talk? :)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello everybody,
For example: going, dancing, shaking, clobbering etc.
In the end of these words are "g" letter. So do I need pronounce them when I talk? :)

As a learner and a non-native, yes, please pronounce the full -ing on the ends of words. In informal chat between natives and fluent speakers, you will hear the "g" being dropped but it's non-standard and some people are particularly upset when they only hear the "in" part of "ing".

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
JustAlilBit,

there are three pronunciations of the suffix "-ing" you will hear.

1) [ɪŋ]

This is the standard pronunciation. Note that the sound [g] is not pronounced. You can think that the letter "g" alters the pronunciation of the letter "n". /ŋ/ is a sound articulated similarly to the sound /n/, but the tongue touches your soft palate instead of your alveolar ridge.

This is /n/: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/29/Alveolar_nasal.ogg

This is /ŋ/: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/39/Velar_nasal.ogg

2) [ɪn]

It's a non-standard pronunciation. Note that while native speakers do say [ˈgəʊɪn] for "going" (and sometimes write goin'), but they will not say [sɪn] for "sing". "Sing" always ends in [ŋ].

3) [ɪŋg]

A non-standard pronunciation too. Perhaps [ɪng] is possible too but I don't remember having heard it.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I should have specified that I was not suggesting that a voiced hard "g" should be pronounced with "-ing", simply that the common pronuncation of just "-in" should be avoided.

"I'm doing that" should sound as it's written, not like "I'm doin that".

Status
Not open for further replies.