[Grammar] Proper way to wirte a Thank-You note.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadeInBrazil

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
Hello first time here, my English is not very good and I rely on Google and auto correct for my English needs.

Well to the point, I current deliver newspaper as a part time job every morning, this time of the year I send my customers holiday cards and they send me gifts back, mostly money. So this year I want to send them a thank you note letting them know I got the money and that I appreciate it also.

So far what I came up with it is this:

Name
Address

I want to say a very special
THANK YOU
for your generous gift.

Looking forward for another year of serving you and wishing all the best for 2015

Sincerely,
MadeInBrazil

The "looking forward for another year of serving you and wishing all the best for 2015" doesn't sound right to me, but I don't know how else can I put it.

Can anyone give me some input on it?

Thank you in advance.
MadeInBrazil.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
It is better to separate that into two sentences:

I look forward to serving you this coming year.
Wishing you all the best for 2015.

not a teacher

MadeInBrazil

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
It is better to separate that into two sentences:

Wishing you all the best for 2015.

not a teacher

Thank you for the quick reply, indeed it does sound better to separate it, my only issue now is with:

To me (I could be wrong) it sounds like I'm expecting them to become a customer, instead of already being one. Does it make sense or am i mistaken?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Your 'looking forward to another year of serving you' means the same thing. They are your customers whom you would like to keep and continue serving.

not a teacher

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"I look forward TO another year of serving you" is fine. The word "for" in your original was wrong.

Don't make "THANK YOU" in all caps and don't use funky formatting.

Thank you so much for your generous gift.
I look forward to another year of serving you.
Wishing you health and happiness in 2015.

Last edited by a moderator:

MadeInBrazil

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
"I look forward TO another year of serving you" is fine. The word "for" in your original was wrong.

Don't make "THANK YOU" in all caps and don't use funky formatting.

Thank you so much for your generous gift.
I look forward to another year of serving you.
Wishing you health and happiness in 2015.

Thank you, the reason for the caps and the funky formatting is to try to fill the space in a letter size paper, I should use a small card, maybe a business size card, but when inserting then into the newspaper it might get lost and the customers not even seeing it. I thought about cutting the paper in half but I'm not too sure about that. If I just do a small note on a big sheet of paper it looks like too empty. :-?
I attached a picture of what might look like.

Thank you guys for the help.

Attachments

• qwer.jpg
    qwer.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think the wording is fine but I would handwrite it. I find the fact that it's been printed rather impersonal. I would much prefer to receive a handwritten note. Of course, it depends on how many people you plan to give this note to.

Edit: I just noticed an error. You need to say "Wishing you all the best for the year to come".

Unlike Barb, I don't mind the fact that "Thank you" is in capitals and a larger font than the rest.

MadeInBrazil

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
I think the wording is fine but I would handwrite it. I find the fact that it's been printed rather impersonal. I would much prefer to receive a handwritten note. Of course, it depends on how many people you plan to give this note to.

Edit: I just noticed an error. You need to say "Wishing you all the best for the year to come".

Unlike Barb, I don't mind the fact that "Thank you" is in capitals and a larger font than the rest.

Sorry for the late reply, I thought about writing to each one even replying back to some of the cards I received, but I have 700 customers and I'll be sending to about 400 of them, so this would take a lot of time. But anyway I want to let them know that I got it and I'm thankful for it, even if it's not too personal.

Thanks for noticing that, and it's fixed now.

Once again thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.