Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
Hello everyone,
"This is just a part of the story.". About 5,740,000 results (0.13 seconds)
"This is just part of the story." About 11,100,000 results (0.24 seconds)
part 1piece [countable] a piece or feature of something such as an object, area, event, or period of time
Which one is correct?

Thank you in advance!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello everyone,

Which one is correct?

Thank you in advance!

I would use the second more often than the first. They are both correct, though.

sumon.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
So rules of countable and uncountable nouns are not always important. It just depends on the usage. Am I right?

dansynek

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
Swedish
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
Hello everyone,

Which one is correct?

Thank you in advance!

As is already reported both are correct. Here is what the sentences convey to me.
(I am not a native speaker, so take my intuition with a (big) grain of salt!)

When I hear "just a part of the story" I get the sense of the story as a made up of pieces, perhaps represented as a written document or file and someone just handed in a piece (a part) of the story, perhaps a chapter. So it has a syntactic connotation. When I hear the sentence "just part of the story" I think of the story as a something with meaning and I just was told part of it, there is more to elaborate. So in the second case the rest of the story is more likely to be a rewritten more detailed version than in the first alternative.

Of course natural language does not have exact meaning. I would love to hear if a native speaker agrees with me, or if the sentences have exactly the same meaning for him/her.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's possible that "a part" could refer to, as you suggest, just a chapter. But I think the two phrases are used pretty much interchangeably.

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As is already reported both are correct. Here is what the sentences convey to me.
(I am not a native speaker, so take my intuition with a (big) grain of salt!)

When I hear "just a part of the story" I get the sense of the story as a made up of pieces, perhaps represented as a written document or file and someone just handed in a piece (a part) of the story, perhaps a chapter. So it has a syntactic connotation. When I hear the sentence "just part of the story" I think of the story as a something with meaning and I just was told part of it, there is more to elaborate. So in the second case the rest of the story is more likely to be a rewritten more detailed version than in the first alternative.

Of course natural language does not have exact meaning. I would love to hear if a native speaker agrees with me, or if the sentences have exactly the same meaning for him/her.

[AmE - not a teacher]

I would say that without any context, you're reading a little bit in to it :) Without context, those both mean the same thing to me, and I prefer the latter version (just part of the story).

Status
Not open for further replies.