Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
1) Do [Company name] smartphone need anti virus?
2) Does [Company name] smartphone need anti virus?

1 or 2 is correct? I think 2 is correct, but I saw people using 1 too?

Some titles I saw:
Do Apple products need anti virus software? discussions.apple.com/message/22253219#22253219
Do Samsung Galaxy S4 Phones Have a Security Hole? bazingacorp.com/do-samsung-galaxy-s4-phones-have-a-security-hole/
Do Samsung's Q1 Results Hint at Broader Smartphone Slowdown? streetinsider.com/Insiders+Blog/Do+Samsungs+Q1+Results+Hint+at+Broader+Smartphone+Slowdown%3F+%28AAPL%29/8282261.html
streetinsider.com/Insiders+Blog/Do+Samsungs+Q1+Results+Hint+at+Broader+Smartphone+Slowdown%3F+%28AAPL%29/8282261.html
Does Samsung want to be Google or Apple? infoworld.com/t/mobile-technology/does-samsung-want-be-google-or-apple-maybe-both-230724

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
1) Do [Company name] smartphone need anti virus?
2) Does [Company name] smartphone need anti virus?

1 or 2 is correct? I think 2 is correct, but I saw people using 1 too?

Some titles I saw:
Do Apple products need anti virus software? discussions.apple.com/message/22253219#22253219
Do Samsung Galaxy S4 Phones Have a Security Hole? bazingacorp.com/do-samsung-galaxy-s4-phones-have-a-security-hole/
Do Samsung's Q1 Results Hint at Broader Smartphone Slowdown? streetinsider.com/Insiders+Blog/Do+Samsungs+Q1+Results+Hint+at+Broader+Smartphone+Slowdown%3F+%28AAPL%29/8282261.html
streetinsider.com/Insiders+Blog/Do+Samsungs+Q1+Results+Hint+at+Broader+Smartphone+Slowdown%3F+%28AAPL%29/8282261.html
Does Samsung want to be Google or Apple? infoworld.com/t/mobile-technology/does-samsung-want-be-google-or-apple-maybe-both-230724

Look at the highlighted letters, does that help you to understand? The "h" in "have" and in "hint" should not be capitalised.

Last edited by a moderator:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Those appear to be headlines, which is why the words are capitalized.

goodstudent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Those appear to be headlines, which is why the words are capitalized.

Is it ok to capitalize all the words in the title?

Is it wrong to capitalized common words (not sure the right name to call it) in title e.g. the, is, are, a

How to know what are common words?

It seems like "have" is not a common word in "Do Samsung Galaxy S4 Phones Have a Security Hole?"

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Generally, do not capitalize prepositions or articles. Do capitalize nouns and verbs, including forms of the verb "to be."

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Oh, from the title I thought this was going to be about the Br/Am differences around "Do Samsung have" and "Does Samsung have" but sadly, that's not the case.

goodstudent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Oh, from the title I thought this was going to be about the Br/Am differences around "Do Samsung have" and "Does Samsung have" but sadly, that's not the case.

(please correct me if I am wrong) I think these are correct:
Does Samsung has
Do Samsung have
Does Samsung phone has
Do Samsung phones have

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

goodstudent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Are these correct:
Does Samsung phone have
Do Samsung phone has

Does Samsung has the upper hand in this battle now source: insidermonkey.com/blog/apple-inc-aapl-1b-award-reduced-new-trial-v-samsung-ordered-77112/

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Are these correct:
Does Samsung phone have:cross:
Do Samsung phone has:cross:

Does Samsung has:cross: the upper hand in this battle now source: insidermonkey.com/blog/apple-inc-aapl-1b-award-reduced-new-trial-v-samsung-ordered-77112/
`

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Are these correct:
Does Samsung phone have
Do Samsung phone has

Does Samsung has the upper hand in this battle now source: insidermonkey.com/blog/apple-inc-aapl-1b-award-reduced-new-trial-v-samsung-ordered-77112/

Your initial question was looking at the wrong thing.

1. Both "Do [a company]..." and "Does [a company]..." can be correct. Americans use the latter. I believe users of British English use the former.
2. Because you have a form of "to do" any other verbs are in the bare infinitive: Does it have... Do they have... "Do/Does [anything] has..." will always be incorrect.
3. "Phone" is a countable noun. "Does phone have..." is wrong. "Does a phone have..." is right. (As pointed out in #2, "Does... has" is wrong.)
4. The verb will agree with the main noun. In the case of "a Samsung phone," the verb must be singular. In the case of "Samsung phones," the verb must be plural. In both of these cases, "Samsung" is used to modify the main noun and has nothing to do with agreement.

All of these are right:
Does a Samsung phone have...
Do Samsung phones have...
Does Samsung (the company) have... (American - uses singular for the company)
Does a Samsung [omitting the word phone if it's understood from the context of the conversation that we are talking about phones] have...

I need someone from the UK to confirm or deny whether "Do Samsung (the company) have..." is correct.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I need someone from the UK to confirm or deny whether "Do Samsung (the company) have..." is correct.

It works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.