Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Can anybody explain me what the phrase "the lower edge" means in English or how it can be translated in Russian in the following context:
Business centre facilities, administration offices andmeeting room areas are arranged along the lower edge of the lounge spaces.
Thanks

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Where did you find that quote?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's a description of departures (relegation zone).

Do you mean the departures area of an airport? I have no idea what a relegation zone is (unless it refers to football!)

tory

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Do you mean the departures area of an airport? I have no idea what a relegation zone is (unless it refers to football!)
Yes, departures area of an airport.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I guess the lounge space is high enough to have more than one level of rooms going off it, and these are on the lower level.

tory

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
I guess the lounge space is high enough to have more than one level of rooms going off it, and these are on the lower level.
So, it means that the objects are situated along the lounge spaces on the lower level, doesn't it?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
It might, and it might not. Lounge areas generally don't have lower edges. I don't think you can assume that the other facilities are on a completely separate level. Naturally if the lounge area sloped in a certain direction, it would have a lower edge, but I'd assume that an airport with those facilities would have even floors! Maybe you could translate it is "around the edges of the lounge area." That might not be strictly accurate, but if a passenger can't find the services from the lounge area with that description, they'll have to ask someone.

tory

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
It might, and it might not. Lounge areas generally don't have lower edges. I don't think you can assume that the other facilities are on a completely separate level. Naturally if the lounge area sloped in a certain direction, it would have a lower edge, but I'd assume that an airport with those facilities would have even floors! Maybe you could translate it is "around the edges of the lounge area." That might not be strictly accurate, but if a passenger can't find the services from the lounge area with that description, they'll have to ask someone.
Does "around the edges of the lounge area" mean "near the edges of the lounge area"?
Actually, saying "on the lower level" I meant "on the lower floor" (in Russian it can mean the same) - my fault
;-)

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
The description doesn't actually mention that there are two floors. That's the problem I would have with translating it that way. In any case, that's not a good English sentence since none of us here knows what it means. That's why I'd be as specific as the information allows, but no moreso.
Yes, around the edges mean close enough to near the edges. You could also say "at the periphery of the lounge area" without committing yourself to guessing the number of floors the place has.

tory

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
The description doesn't actually mention that there are two floors. That's the problem I would have with translating it that way. In any case, that's not a good English sentence since none of us here knows what it means. That's why I'd be as specific as the information allows, but no moreso.
Yes, around the edges mean close enough to near the edges. You could also say "at the periphery of the lounge area" without committing yourself to guessing the number of floors the place has.
Understood:)
Thank you for such a full explanation!

Status
Not open for further replies.