Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello,

could you please tell me whether the following sentences are correct:

1) I know that he will be coming tomorrow.
2) Tomorrow at this time they will be reaching the top of the mountain.

Thank you in advance.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Both are fine. Here are my ideas:

WILL be (do)ing (‘Future Progressive').

The modal WILL followed by the durative(progressive) infinitive be ....-ing can have two possible overtones, both stemming from the combination of the ideas of certainty (WILL) and limited duration (progressive form).

The first possibility is that the speaker is describing a situation already begun, having duration, and not completed by the time mentioned or implied. This would be explicit in:

At 5 o’clock tomorrow George will be driving down the M1.

This would cover your second sentence.

The second possibility is that the speaker is more concerned with the pure certainty of the action happening than any volitional aspect that might be implied by the use of WILL by itself.

I’ll be seeing Mary tomorrow. I'll ask her about the arrangements then.

It is claimed by some writers, with some justification, that the use of WILL be....-ing implies, by its lack of reference to intention, volition or arrangement, a 'casual' future.

This covers your first sentence.

Depending on the context and co-text, the speaker may be intending a ‘casual’ futurity, or may be indicating a situation in progress at a particular time.

Ways of Expressing the Future in English

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
So are my sentences correct? If it's not duration that's important, but someone's plans for the nearest future, (The picture I've enclosed here is too small, but it reads that if you are talking about events that will happen as part of a plan or schedule, you may use Future Progressive for scheduled events, e.g. The party will be starting at twelve.)

So, is the sentence "I know that he will be coming tomorrow" all right if I want to say: he is planning to come tomorrow and I know about it?

And what about the second sentence (about reaching the top of the mountain)? Does it sound natural?

1.JPG

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
So are my sentences correct?
My words "Both are fine" in post #2 are the answer to that.
If it's not duration that's important, but someone's plans for the nearest future, (The picture I've enclosed here is too small, but it reads that if you are talking about events that will happen as part of a plan or schedule, you may use Future Progressive for scheduled events, e.g. The party will be starting at twelve.)
I don't place so much emphasis on the words 'plan' or 'schedule' but my words on the 'casual' future as "more concerned with the pure certainty of the action happening than any volitional aspect that might be implied by the use of WILL by itself" carry a similar message.
So, is the sentence "I know that he will be coming tomorrow" all right if I want to say: he is planning to come tomorrow and I know about it?
Yes
Please credit your sources. Apart from it being courteous to do so, copyright laws are stringent. If we quote somebody, or post an extract from somebody's book, we must acknowledge the author.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Please credit your sources. Apart from it being courteous to do so, copyright laws are stringent. If we quote somebody, or post an extract from somebody's book, we must acknowledge the author.

Sorry, it's from Oxford Practice Grammar Intermediate by John Eastwood.:oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.