Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
United States
I read from yahoo news a part of a sentence that "which have seen social liberalism triumph to an extent few imagined possible so swiftly",
Does "so swiftly " use here to embellish which verb? And how to make pauses? I can only understand this sentence from guess. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Re: what does this sentence mean

You should have posted the full sentence.

..which have seen social liberalism triumph to an extent few imagined possible so swiftly

"So swiftly" modifies the verb "triumph" , which would have been clearer if the adverb is placed after the verb:

..which have seen social liberalism triumph so swiftly to an extent few imagined possible

What do you mean by "how to make pauses"?

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

I think the OP means commas, but I am not a teacher.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I read [STRIKE]from[/STRIKE] at/on Yahoo News a part of a sentence that read/said "which have seen social liberalism triumph to an extent few imagined possible so swiftly".
[STRIKE]Does[/STRIKE] Is "so swiftly " used here to embellish [STRIKE]which[/STRIKE] a verb and, if so, which verb? [STRIKE]And[/STRIKE] Also, how to make pauses (underlined part does not make sense)? I can only [STRIKE]understand[/STRIKE] guess at the meaning of this sentence. [STRIKE]from guess.[/STRIKE] Thanks!

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Note that I have changed your thread title to make it relevant. Thread titles should include some/all of the words you are querying. Generic titles like "What does this mean?" do not help us to distinguish one post from another.

Note my other corrections to your post (in red).

As you have already been told, you needed to quote the entire sentence for us in order to understand it correctly.

lulu0386

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
United States

You should have posted the full sentence.

..which have seen social liberalism triumph to an extent few imagined possible so swiftly

"So swiftly" modifies the verb "triumph" , which would have been clearer if the adverb is placed after the verb:

..which have seen social liberalism triumph so swiftly to an extent few imagined possible

What do you mean by "how to make pauses"?

hi,Thank you for your answer. I think i understand that now. Yes, i mean comma. But now i understand the meaning
of the sentence ,just ignore that.

lulu0386

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
United States
Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Note that I have changed your thread title to make it relevant. Thread titles should include some/all of the words you are querying. Generic titles like "What does this mean?" do not help us to distinguish one post from another.

Note my other corrections to your post (in red).

As you have already been told, you needed to quote the entire sentence for us in order to understand it correctly.

hi, thank you for the correction. i will include the words i want to query next time. :)

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

Please use proper capitalization but don't use such abbreviations as 'lol' on this forum.

Not a teacher.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Hi. Thank you for your answer. I think I understand that now. Yes, I meant comma. But now I understand the meaning
of the sentence, just ignore that.

Hi, thank you for the correction. I will include the words I want to query next time. :)

Yes. [strike]lol[/strike]

See my corrections above. It is important to follow these rules of written English at all times:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- End every sentence with a single, appropriate punctuation mark.
- Always capitalise the word "I".
- Always capitalise proper nouns (English, Microsoft, Shakespeare).
- Do not put a space before a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.
- Always put a space after a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.