Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Australia
On the opposite side of the wind
A woman is wearing it thin
The opposite side of her skin

More lyrics here.

I know what 'wear thin' means, yet I'm not sure if it works the same with 'it' here? What does 'wear something thin' normally mean? Also, do you think it's a play on the word 'thin-skinned', too?(I know, that smells of asking for interpretation, but I would just like to know if linguistically, you'd make the association.)

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
On the opposite side of the wind
A woman is wearing it thin
The opposite side of her skin

More lyrics here.

I know what 'wear thin' means, yet I'm not sure if it works the same with 'it' here? What does 'wear something thin' normally mean? Also, do you think it's a play on the word 'thin-skinned', too?(I know, that smells of asking for interpretation, but I would just like to know if linguistically, you'd make the association.)

You could be right. Or not. :-D

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
There is surprisingly (in my opinion) little evidence for "to wear something thin" being used. Would it be unnatural to talk about wearing a fabric thin?

SanMar

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

nyota

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Australia
Song lyrics can be both fun and really challenging even for native speakers. I wouldn't use this as a model for everyday English use but it is a great way to explore the language. Good luck though because it can be a pain!

SongMeanings | Lyrics | Oren Lavie - The Opposite Side Of The Sea

Fans will sometimes discuss meaning and interpretation on the above site.

Not a teacher.
:)

I've been browsing various sites but haven't found much information to be honest (and that's a euphemism). Thing with lyrics is that I'm sometimes not sure if I lack language or interpretative skills. Probably both. ;) But if I don't know the language, then I can forget everything else, hence my questions.

Since I see no immediate answers from NESs, I'll just assume the phrase's ambiguous to them, too.

And now I'll stop pestering you with lyrics

for now. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.