Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
This sentence talks about a crow, I don't know if we can call it's voice a sing? It is humanized in this context and that's why I think sing here is an action a human does (like in sing a song), not some voice of an animal. Here is the sentence I'm a little confused and hesitated between hear you sing and hear your sing:

I heard you sing last week

vs

I heard your sing last week

As I said, you here refers to a crow.

Thank you very much in advance!

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Only "you."
However, writing "your" when I mean "you" and vice verse is my most common typo. I wouldn't be surprised if others have the same problem.

crazYgeeK

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Only "you."
However, writing "your" when I mean "you" and vice verse is my most common typo. I wouldn't be surprised if others have the same problem.

Thank you, it can be understood OK if it's some kind of English daily conversation especially when people leave some comment and post reply but the sentence I asked about is in a test, it should be grammatically correct. It is not a typo at all, in fact the original sentence has a blank requiring a suitable word, here it is:

I heard .... sing last week. I was sure to choose you but there was a suggestion meaning your is the correct answer. And your answer let me know that the correct (the most suitable word) should be you. Thank you very much! :)

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Your" is wrong. The test had an error.

Jaskin

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
UK
hi,
Please note I'm not a teacher nor a native speaker;

This sentence talks about a crow, I don't know if we can call it's voice a sing? It is humanized in this context and that's why I think sing here is an action a human does (like in sing a song), not some voice of an animal. Here is the sentence I'm a little confused and hesitated between hear you sing and hear your sing:

I heard you sing last week

vs

I heard your sing last week

As I said, you here refers to a crow.

Thank you very much in advance!

Could you provide some more context please ?

Btw. sing, singing, song could be used in reference to the sounds made by some animals such as birds, whales, dolphins.

cheers

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Jaskin, I agree with you, but referring to the vocalization of a crow as singing is being overly generous. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.