Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
My question is about 'the' article with name+noun constructions. I know I can say 'the town of Cambridge'. Also 'king George', 'aunt Mary' and likewise (without 'the') are met frequently in the press or on TV.
However:
They headed to Babylon city or to the Babylon city? Can I say also to city Babylon or to the city Babylon?
Is there a valid rule regarding such cases? There are plenty or contradictive examples in literature.
Thank you who can help. :)

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
My question is about 'the' article with name+noun constructions. I know I can say 'the town of Cambridge'. Also 'king George', 'aunt Mary' and likewise (without 'the') are met frequently in the press or on TV.
However:
They headed to Babylon city or to the Babylon city? Can I say also to city Babylon or to the city Babylon?
Is there a valid rule regarding such cases? There are plenty or contradictive examples in literature.
Thank you who can help. :)
"king George" is wrong and so is "aunt Mary", if they are meant to be names. Titles are capitalised.
In "the town of Cambridge", 'town' isn't part of the title.
So, it's Princess Diana.
"They are headed to Babylon"; "They are headed to the city of Babylon"; "They are headed to Babylon City" (if it was called that). Your options in red are all wrong.

PS: Do you have some examples of "king George" from the media that you could post a link to?

Romeo4755

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
What I am trying to do is to get articles straight.

Do you have some examples of "king George" from the media that you could post a link to?
News on TV.

Your options in red are all wrong.
to Babylon City - is it right or wrong?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Do you have some examples of "king George" from the media that you could post a link to?
News on TV.

The news on TV is generally spoken, so how could you tell if there was a capital letter at the start of "king"?

Status
Not open for further replies.