[Grammar] Why does the speaker use the present tense here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cubezero3

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi, everyone.

I am watching a documentry about Bach. In the documentry, Robert Marshall, who is a music professor in Brandeis University, says the following:

He lost his parents at the age of ten. And I think that drama, that shuddering experience, formed his outlook on the world for the rest of his life. He felt abandoned. He felt the world would be a deceitful, untrustworthy place. This worked very well with his religious understanding as a Lutheran where the same attitude towards the world is preached. In many ways what he then was going to do with his music was to, in a sense, create his own world, his own better world, the perfect world, in a sense he himself is going to become a creator.

The whole story is told in past tenses and all of a sudden he uses is at the end.

I did some research on bing.com and according to what I found I would assume he is a native speaker of the language.
See the link here:http://www.brandeis.edu/facultyguide/person.html?emplid=9d6e7a17246d137200237a48208b32ed6082d0d8

I've read that it is acceptable for one to use present tenses to describe a historic event. But I don't understand why he suddenly changes the tense to present. Is this is a kind of usage intended to deliver time-related imformation which I failed to receive? Or this is simply a mistake on his part?

The preofessor prosounces it very clearly. However, the likelyhood of a faux par on my side remains. So I will put down the link through which you can listen to it at 11:04. You will have to wait until the end of some advertisements which last about one minute.
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjQxNjUxNjYw.html

Many thank

Richard

PS: I realised I used what wrongly in the title but it's already too late to change it. :oops:

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Re: What does the speaker use the present tense here?

He could be using it for dramatic effect- we can change from the past to the present in narratives.

(My connection's playing up I haven't watched it yet.)

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France

However, the likelyhood of a faux par on my side remains.

I am not a teacher.

Your English is a lot better than your French. ;-) It's a faux pas, mon ami.

cubezero3

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

This is very interesting. Are there any rules with regard to this? Can the change of tense occur at any part of narratives, for example?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

There are no rules at all.

cubezero3

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

Thank you, 5jj. Would it be right if I take it as these kind of changes happen and the best way of knowing how to use them is to read and listen more and see how they are used by native speakers?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

"Use sparingly" is a good rule of thumb. You don't want your reader to get whiplash from switching tenses excessively.

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan

He lost his parents at the age of ten. And I think that drama, that shuddering experience, formed his outlook on the world for the rest of his life.

Hello, cubezero3.:-D

I think the underlined words should be 'trauma' and 'shattering'.

(Please forgive me if I'm wrong.)

Status
Not open for further replies.