I met a wonderful person on a family vacation trip. After the vacation, we went our

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

B45

I met a wonderful person on a family vacation trip. After the vacation, we went our separate ways, and I texted the special individual this:

I'm glad I've met you.

VS

I'm glad I met you.

Are both okay here?

Benny P

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Australia
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hi! I'm leaning towards: I'm glad I met you. I hear it more commonly than the first one. I'm no cambridge scholar but the second one sounds more appropriate and personal.[/FONT]

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hi! I'm leaning towards: "I'm glad I met you". I hear it more commonly than the first one. I'm no Cambridge scholar but the second one sounds more appropriate and personal.

"I'm glad I met you" is indeed correct, Benny, but please read this extract from the forum rules:

You are welcome to answer questions posted in the Ask a Teacher forum as long as your suggestions, help, and advice reflect a good understanding of the English language. If you are not a teacher, you will need to state that clearly at the top of your post. Please note, all posts are moderated by our in-house language experts,

B

B45

Are you saying that:

I'm glad I've met you - Is incorrect?

But it happened very recently and we only spent a couple days together.

Last edited by a moderator:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I wouldn't use "I'm glad I've met you. "I'm glad I met you" and "I'm glad to have met you" sound better to me.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
'...we went our separate ways' places the event firmly in the past.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"I'm glad I've met you" implies that you want to keep the friendship going. If you have no intention of contacting the person again, this could give them the wrong idea about your intentions.

B

B45

"I'm glad I've met you" implies that you want to keep the friendship going. If you have no intention of contacting the person again, this could give them the wrong idea about your intentions.

Of course I want to keep the friendship going!

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Of course I want to keep the friendship going!
"After the vacation, we went our separate ways" might suggest otherwise. You might live in different countries. The friendship you had might not be sustainable long-distance. Any of these things are consistent with your first post. So, I don't think "Of course" necessarily applies.
Naturally, if you say it does, it does. But that wasn't so obvious in your first post.

Status
Not open for further replies.