Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I have a simple question.
There is a sentence "They have been writing yesterday".
It sounded wrong to me, so I corrected it to "They were writing yesterday", but it seemed incomplete.
So I thought I should use simple past and say "They had been writing yesterday". Am I using the correct tense?

The more and more I read it, it all starts sounding the same.:):)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"They were writing yesterday" is correct as a standalone sentence.

"They have been writing yesterday" is incorrect.
"They had been writing yesterday" is incorrect.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Can you post the appropriate tenses as well? That would be helpful for further research.
Thank you for giving a very clear answer.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Can you post the appropriate tenses as well? That would be helpful for further research.
Thank you for giving a very clear answer.

Are you asking us to tell you what tenses "They were", "They have been" and "They had been" are? I realise that your username gives us a clue as to how you feel about grammar but you need to understand that we are not here to replace your own hard work and study. There are multiple ways for you to find out which tenses they are. Let us know what you find out.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
They were - Past continuous/past progressive.
They have been - present perfect
They had been - past perfect

It was relatively easy for me to find it. But I don't have a grammar book with me and I am forced to rely on the internet. My friend who knows a lot more about grammar than I do said "We use the past continuous to say that somebody was in the middle of doing something at a certain time. The action or situation had already started before this time but had not finished”. That is why I got confused and said "They were shopping yesterday" might be wrong.
He also suggested that I use simple past instead.

I am not a native speaker of English and I was not taught grammar in detail at school. Reading words such as past continuous and past progressive have confused me a lot before. The only reason I posted this query here was to confirm what he said and to get a teacher to explain when it was appropriate to use which, with examples, as I was unable to relate the examples that I read elsewhere with this sentence, because somewhere I felt this sentence sounded wrong. Which lead me to realise that I didn't have a good grasp of the concept. But as you suggested, I shall do more studying and try to learn grammar.

Last edited:

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hello, Grammar is confusing!

Yesterday is in the past, so you need to use the past tense.
:)

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Thank you for answering. I understand that yesterday is in the past. :)
And yes, I would also not leave sentences like 'They were writing yesterday' and 'They were shopping yesterday' as standalone sentences.
But as emsr2d2 pointed out, that is the only option that can work that way.

The problem was that none of the examples that I read left the sentences so abruptly; hence the mix-up.
The confusion is now cleared.
Thank you Matthew Wai, emsr2d2 and tzfujimino!

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have a simple question.
There is a sentence "They have been writing yesterday".
It sounded wrong to me, so I corrected it to "They were writing yesterday", but it seemed incomplete.
So I thought I should use simple past and say "They had been writing yesterday". Am I using the correct tense?

The more and more I read it, it all starts sounding the same.:):)

The title of your tread has nothing to do with the content. Please create better titles in the future.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
The title of your tread has nothing to do with the content. Please create better titles in the future.
I wrote that because of the verb 'to be'. And yes, the title is misleading, I shall fix that in the future. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.