[Grammar] Via vs. Through

Status
Not open for further replies.

gklcity

Member Type
Student or Learner
Dear All,

What is the difference between via or through and when would you use one over the other? Would you say, for example, reply through e-mail or reply via e-mail? They seem to be used as some sort of synonyms.

Also, could you please let me know which one of the following is correct: the two elements related through a mathematical function, the two elements related via a mathematical function or the two elements related by a mathematical function?

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks in advance.

George

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Dear All,

What is the difference between via or through and when would you use one over the other? Would you say, for example, reply through e-mail or reply via e-mail? They seem to be used as some sort of synonyms.

Also, could you please let me know which one of the following is correct: the two elements related through a mathematical function, the two elements related via a mathematical function or the two elements related by a mathematical function?

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks in advance.

George

Personally, I would never say "through email". I would use "by email" though I see "via" used quite regularly.

I can't answer your mathematical one though - it may well be that the mathematical usage differs.

gklcity

Member Type
Student or Learner
Personally, I would never say "through email". I would use "by email" though I see "via" used quite regularly.
Many thanks for your prompt reply. Is there a rule that specifies when through/via/by should be used (I used email as an example, I am interested in the generic (or general) rule if it exists.
I can't answer your mathematical one though - it may well be that the mathematical usage differs.
Which ones sounds correct (I think through is used if you pass through something, so via seems better but then English is not my mother tongue.

Status
Not open for further replies.