Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
It is important that all luggage ....... for identification, before being loaded into the aircraft.

1. to be labelled
2. must be labelled
3. should be labelled
4. be labelled

Based on Michael Swan's claim, both 3 and 4 could fit here.(Subjunctive structures). But the answer key shows No.4!

Thanks!

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
It is important that all luggage ....... for identification, before being loaded into the aircraft.

1. to be labelled
2. must be labelled
3. should be labelled
4. be labelled

Based on Michael Swan's claim, both 3 and 4 could fit here.(Subjunctive structures). But the answer key shows No.4!

Thanks!

Hello, Freeguy.:-D

I have no objection to Michael Swan's argument/explanation.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is the test/workbook based on American English? We are less likely to use the "should" construction.

Freeguy

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I think it's a matter of taste. Michael Swan wrote his book based on both style. British and American. Subjunctives can be followed by should or without it from his point of view. I don't know when we can leave out should and when we can't, you know!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Subjunctives can be followed by should or without it from his point of view. I don't know when we can leave out should and when we can't, you know!
Barb has already told you that speakers of AmE are less likely to use the 'should' construction. I will tell you that, in BrE, we are more likely to use a 'should' construction or an indicative.

Incidentally, the 'should' construction is a modal construction, not a subjunctive,

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
.... and "be labelled" is the best option for AmE. I think most BrE speakers would write "is labelled" here (not in your key). They haven't used English in years! :)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I think most BrE speakers would write "is labelled" here (not in your key). They haven't used English in years! :)

Obviously I haven't used English for years as I would use is labelled if I had the option. :up:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Obviously I haven't used English for years as I would use is labelled if I had the option. :up:

No worries, you will catch on soon. And while you're at it, change the spelling to "labeled". :lol:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
When you stop saying cellphone. ;-)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Is that the preferred written form? I see both used, though am not sure of the difference in pronunciation. ;-)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is that the preferred written form? I see both used, though am not sure of the difference in pronunciation. ;-)

It is preferred by moi! In both cases, the stress would be on the first word/syllable.

Status
Not open for further replies.