is it "s-v-io-do" pattern?

Status
Not open for further replies.

milfe

Member Type
Student or Learner
:?::?: i wonder about the pattern of this sentence:

He said to me that his wife has another another man.
If I used the verb "told", it would be easier to identify the pattern as s+v+io+do... but if i used the verb "said" it's confusing to say that "me" is an indirect object because of the preposition "to" before the verb "said".
As I've understood, a preposition never comes before an indirect object in an s+v+io+do pattern... it's only possible to use the preposition before an indirect object if there's s+v+do+io pattern...

please tell me your ideas...:-:)-:)-(

Linguist__

Member Type
Student or Learner
:?::?: i wonder about the pattern of this sentence:

He said to me that his wife has another another man.
If I used the verb "told", it would be easier to identify the pattern as s+v+io+do... but if i used the verb "said" it's confusing to say that "me" is an indirect object because of the preposition "to" before the verb "said".
As I've understood, a preposition never comes before an indirect object in an s+v+io+do pattern... it's only possible to use the preposition before an indirect object if there's s+v+do+io pattern...

please tell me your ideas...:-:)-:)-(

(Not a teacher, and a begginer at grammar)

He said to me = S V A

that = subordinating conjunction

His wife has another man = S V O

I don't see any direct/indirect object. The sentence has two clauses, and 'to me' I would say is an adverbial - 'Who did he say (it) to?', 'He said (it) to me'.

Status
Not open for further replies.