Student or Learner
Native Language
Swahili
Home Country
Congo
Current Location
Australia

Hi,

Are the following sentences natural to a native ear?

1. I would appreciate it if you gave me some headsup on your travel plan.

2. Without getting stuck in Cliché, I would just call it the way it is. (I expressed my opinion on what should be the title of a news item)

3. What time will that be? ( some one said they would call me after they landed at an airport, so I asked that question)

Thanks,
MG.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi,

Are the following sentences natural to a native ear?

1. I would appreciate it if you gave me some headsup on your travel plan. Depends on what you mean. You used future possibility (would) with simple past (gave). You could say, "I would have appreciated it if you had given (OR "gave" would be OK) me some headsup.......", meaning the person never notified you of their travel plan and you would have liked to have known about it. OR "I would appreciate it if you would give me some headsup.....", meaning you would expect info on their plan and the travel hasn't occurred yet.

2. Without getting stuck in Cliché, I would just call it the way it is. (I expressed my opinion on what should be the title of a news item) OK

3. What time will that be? ( some one said they would call me after they landed at an airport, so I asked that question) OK

Thanks,
MG.

b.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
1. I would appreciate it if you gave me some headsup on your travel plan. Depends on what you mean. You used future possibility (would) with simple past (gave). You could say, "I would have appreciated it if you had given (OR "gave" would be OK) me some headsup.......", meaning the person never notified you of their travel plan and you would have liked to have known about it. OR "I would appreciate it if you would give me some headsup.....", meaning you would expect info on their plan and the travel hasn't occurred yet.

musicgold's tense usage is correct in BrE and, as far as I know, in AmE. It is a second conditional sentence expressing a diffident request.

'I would have appreciated it if you had given ... " is a correct third conditional expression, denoting a past counterfactual situation.

'I would have appreciated it if you gave...' is incorrect.

'I would appreciate it if you would give me ..' is, despite what some books say, acceptable.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

musicgold's tense usage is correct in BrE and, as far as I know, in AmE. It is a second conditional sentence expressing a diffident request.

'I would have appreciated it if you had given ... " is a correct third conditional expression, denoting a past counterfactual situation.

'I would have appreciated it if you gave...' is incorrect.

'I would appreciate it if you would give me ..' is, despite what some books say, acceptable.

Well, I can’t get my head around the mix of tenses in mg’s example. As in my post, I think it depends on what the speaker intends to imply. Either the “appreciation” happens in the present or in the past. If in the past, I have to go with a construction of a past unreal condition (“would have appreciated”) with simple past (“gave”) or past perfect (“had given”). But I understand your points.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The word "cliche" is not capitalized. "Travel plans" is normal in AmE.

Status
Not open for further replies.