Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello,

I've got two sentences from a grammar book:

(1) I lived in Madrid until I was 18.
(2) If he hadn't done that, we must still be leading the life that had made us so happy until that terrible evening.

If I used the past perfect in (1) (had lived) and the past simple in (2) (made), would the sentences still be perfectly grammatical?

Thank you!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello,

I've got two sentences from a grammar book:

(1) I lived in Madrid until I was 18.
(2) If he hadn't done that, we must still be leading the life that had made us so happy until that terrible evening.

If I used the past perfect in (1) (had lived) and the past simple in (2) (made), would the sentences still be perfectly grammatical?

Thank you!

1. "Had lived" would only work if you then followed it with some other information. "I lived in Berlin from the age of 18 and a half. I had lived in Madrid until I was 18 but I decided I fancied a change so I moved to Germany". Even then, "I lived in Madrid" would be just as acceptable.

2. Firstly, "must" does not fit here. It should read "If he hadn't done that, we would still be leading the life ..."
In my opinion, "we would still be leading the life that made us so happy until that terrible evening" does not work. You have specified a time in the past (that terrible evening) and you are referring to a time before that time (the happy life) so "had made" is appropriate.

Verona_82

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
Thank you! Why can't 'until I was 18" in (1) be a specified time in the past before which I'm referring to without any additional information?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Why can't 'until I was 18" in (1) be a specified time in the past before which I'm referring to without any additional information?
Because there is no other time referred to without additional information.

Status
Not open for further replies.