Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
1.I remember to lock the door. Here does the sentence express the future event like (I remember to lock the door = I remember that I have to/should lock the door) ?
2.I remember locking the door. Here does the sentence express the past event or completed work like (I remember locking the door = I remember that I locked the door/I have locked the door)? please explain grammatically.

lfthnLl

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
If ''remember'' is used with statements we are going to do, it takes ''infinitive''.
On the other hand, if it means forgetting something in the past, it takes ''gerund''.
Examples:
-Do you remember(recall) our being stuck in the mud with the car last year? I also remember(recall) clearly your losing your temper.
-Please remember(don't forget) to tell him that I will be waiting at our usual cafe at 3 o'clock. -Okay, I won't forget(will remember) to give him your message.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
1. I remember to lock the door. Here does the sentence express the future event like (I remember to lock the door = I remember that I have to/should lock the door) ?
2. I remember locking the door. Here does the sentence express the past event or completed work like (I remember locking the door = I remember that I locked the door/I have locked the door)? please explain grammatically.
1. No, it's present tense. It means you're remembering to lock the door.
2. Yes, it's past.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
If ''remember'' is used with statements we are going to do, it takes the infinitive.
On the other hand, if it means forgetting something in the past, it takes ''gerund''. 'Remember' can't mean 'forgetting something'.
Examples:
-Do you remember(recall) our being stuck in the mud with the car last year? I also remember(recall) clearly your losing your temper.
-Please remember(don't forget) to tell him that I will be waiting at our usual cafe at 3 o'clock. -Okay, I won't forget(will remember) to give him your message.

IfthnLI, please read this extract from the Posting Guidel​ines:

You are welcome to answer questions posted in the Ask a Teacher forum as long as your suggestions, help, and advice reflect a good understanding of the English language. If you are not a teacher, you will need to state that clearly at the top of your post.

Babai

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
1. No, it's present tense. It means you're remembering to lock the door.
2. Yes, it's past.
Still i do not understand the first sentence you mentioned as present tense.can you explain it in more detail please?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Still i do not understand the first sentence you mentioned as present tense.can you explain it in more detail please?
1.I remember to lock the door. Here does the sentence express the future event like (I remember to lock the door = I remember that I have to/should lock the door) ?
All the sentences I've labelled in blue are in the present tense. The main clause in each is "I remember" which is present tense. So is the subordinate clause, "I have to/should lock the door".
If you just say, "I have to lock the door", that's still present tense, but it could refer to the future depending on the context.

If you need further explanation, you'll have to say what you don't understand.

Babai

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
All the sentences I've labelled in blue are in the present tense. The main clause in each is "I remember" which is present tense. So is the subordinate clause, "I have to/should lock the door".
If you just say, "I have to lock the door", that's still present tense, but it could refer to the future depending on the context.

If you need further explanation, you'll have to say what you don't understand.

I do not understand ''If you just say, "I have to lock the door", that's still present tense, but it could refer to the future depending on the context.'' how is it possible that 'have to' refers to present tense cause here i have to lock the door means i do not complete the work. can you explain it in more detail please? source:http://www.grammaring.com/to-infinitive-or-gerund-forget-remember-regret-go-on-stop-try

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I do not understand ''If you just say, "I have to lock the door", that's still present tense, but it could refer to the future depending on the context.'' how is it possible that 'have to' refers to present tense cause here i have to lock the door means i do not complete the work. can you explain it in more detail please? source:http://www.grammaring.com/to-infinitive-or-gerund-forget-remember-regret-go-on-stop-try
"I have to ..." does not refer to present tense; it is present tense.The speaker has a present/general obligation. What the speaker is obliged to do will occur in the future.

I am locking the door, because I have to lock the door. Present tense, - present/general obligation - present-time act of locking.
When I go out later, I will lock the door, because I have to lock the door. -Present tense - present/general obligation - future-time act of locking.

Babai

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
"I have to ..." does not refer to present tense; it is present tense.The speaker has a present/general obligation. What the speaker is obliged to do will occur in the future.

I am locking the door, because I have to lock the door. Present tense, - present/general obligation - present-time act of locking.
When I go out later, I will lock the door, because I have to lock the door. -Present tense - present/general obligation - future-time act of locking.
If i say 'I shall lock the door' still it is present tense according to you? then what is the difference between present and future tense? please explain it grammatically?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If i say 'I shall lock the door' still it is present tense according to you? then what is the difference between present and future tense? please explain it grammatically?
Technically 'shall' is present tense, like 'may', 'can', 'will' and (these days) 'must'.

Most grammarians today feel that English does not have a future tense. We express futurity in a number of ways, including:

Present simple: Emma flies to Prague next Friday.
Present continuous: Emma is flying to Prague next Friday
Present continuous of GO + to- infinitive: Emma is going to fly to Prague next Friday.
Modal + bare infinitive: Emma will/may fly to Prague next Friday.
Modal + (bare) progressive infinitive: Emma will/may be flying to Prague next Friday.

Babai

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Technically 'shall' is present tense, like 'may', 'can', 'will' and (these days) 'must'.

Most grammarians today feel that English does not have a future tense. We express futurity in a number of ways, including:

Present continuous of GO + to- infinitive: Emma is going to fly to Prague next Friday.
Modal + (bare) progressive infinitive: Emma will/may be flying to Prague next Friday.
I understand now that the sentence '' I remember to lock the door'' expresses the habitual work that means (I do lock the door) am i right? here is a another sentence ''Louise remembered to turn off the lights before leaving.'' does that mean (She did turn off the lights.) ?

Babai

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

According to you ''I remember to lock the door'' means (I do lock the door)? Louise remembered to turn off the lights before leaving. means (She did turn off the lights.)? does the first one express the habitual work?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I understand now that the sentence '' I remember to lock the door'' expresses the habitual work that means (I do lock the door) am i right? here is a another sentence ''Louise remembered to turn off the lights before leaving.'' does that mean (She did turn off the lights.) ?
Yes.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Babai, your thanks are appreciated but your click on the Like button was sufficient. There is no need to send a separate post or quote our replies back to us.

The reason is that it is flagged as a new post, so we think you might have a follow-up question or something to add. Those of us with slow internet connections and/or old computers have to waste valuable time waiting for it to appear.

Thank you.

Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.