Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Can 'often' only be used in the sense of 'frequently on different/many occasions' like in this example?

'I often fell in love when I was younger.'

What about this example?

'I often fell yesterday when I was skiing.'

or should this sentence read 'I kept falling yesterday when I was skiing.'

Let' suppose I went skiing yesterday and took 2 to 3 breaks inbetween to take a rest and have a hot cup
of tea, could I say then ' I often fell yesterday when I was skiing.' because I am not talking about just
one occasion yesteray but 3 or 4, or is 'yesterday' to small a time span to look at that this way?

What is the case if I use 'quite often'? Could I say then ' I quite often fell yesterday when I was skiing.'?

A big hello from Bavaria

Joern:)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"I fell over a lot while I was skiing yesterday" is how I would put it.
Alternatives are:
- I fell over many times while I was skiing yesterday.
- I fell over several times while I was skiing yesterday.

I would normally use "often" when talking about something that happens over a longer period of time than just one day.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Can 'often' only be used in the sense of 'frequently on different/many occasions' like in this example?

'I often fell in love when I was younger.'

What about this example?

'I often fell yesterday when I was skiing.'

or should this sentence read 'I kept falling yesterday when I was skiing.'

Either one is OK.

Let' suppose I went skiing yesterday and took 2 to 3 breaks inbetween to take a rest and have a hot cup
of tea, could I say then ' I often fell yesterday when I was skiing.' because I am not talking about just
one occasion yesterday but 3 or 4, or is 'yesterday' too small a time span to look at that this way? It's OK, but are you sure you were drinking tea? :)
What is the case if I use 'quite often'? Could I say then ' I [STRIKE] quite often [/STRIKE] fell quite often yesterday when I was skiing.'?

A big hello from Bavaria

Joern:)

Just a follow-up to emsr2d2's post. In AmE and in the context you have presented, "fell over" would most often be considered to indicate that you fell to the ground from a standing position.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Just a follow-up to emsr2d2's post. In AmE and in the context you have presented, "fell over" would most often be considered to indicate that you fell to the ground from a standing position.

Most of us attempt to remain in a standing position (whilst moving forwards) on skis! ;-)

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Most of us attempt to remain in a standing position (whilst moving forwards) on skis! ;-)

Well emsr2d2, I must say that "standing" would suggest to me that one is motionless. Perhaps "upright" or "erect" would be a better choice. ;-) ;-)

Joern Matthias

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
"It's OK, but are you sure you were drinking tea?"

Maybe tea made of hops and something in it otherwise I would not have fallen that much. Good one and thanks a lot!:lol:

Last edited:

Joern Matthias

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Big help indeed! Thank you!:-D

Would you also normally only use 'quite often' when talking about something that happens over a longer period of time than just
one day?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Big help indeed! Thank you!:-D

Would you also normally only use 'quite often' when talking about something that happens over a longer period of time than just
one day?

I would, yes.

There are a few exceptions, as always. For example, "To keep your blood sugar levels on an even keel, you should eat little and often". That means both "little and often" over the course of one day, but also over a longer period.

Status
Not open for further replies.