Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"He asked a bar tender to pull him a beer." Can we say that to mean that someone pulls the handle to get beer out of a keg?

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
"He asked a bar tender to pull him a beer." Can we say that to mean that someone pulls the handle too get beer out of a keg?
Yes, that's right.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Pull a beer" to mean pouring beer from a keg or a tap in a pub is strictly BrE. In AmE "pull a beer" would confuse any native speaker. In AmE, if a patron is requesting a beer to be "pulled" ("on draft", rather than in a bottle), he would request his brew of choice to be "draft" or "on tap."

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"Pull a beer" to mean pouring beer from a keg or a tap in a pub is strictly BrE. In AmE "pull a beer" would confuse any native speaker. In AmE, if a patron is requesting a beer to be "pulled" ("on draft", rather than in a bottle), he would request his brew of choice to be "draft" or "on tap."

What would you say than? "pour me a beer"?

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What would you say than? "pour me a beer"?

Yes, "pour me a beer" would be understood. However, in most cases if you made such a request the bartender would reply by asking "What'll you have?" or "What's your pleasure?" or some other phrase that required you to specify a specific brand of beer. :) :cheers:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Pull a beer" to mean pouring beer from a keg or a tap in a pub is strictly BrE. ...

'Fraid not. Draught beer (the word is related to 'drag') is pulled from the cask using a handle mounted on the bar-top; the handle is the lever of a pump, which draws[/U the beer up from the keg (which could be either under the bar or in the cellar)]. You can get something marketed as 'draught beer' in individual cans, but that's just marketing!

Incidentally, students may be interested to know that there's another use of 'pull' in this context. A person drinking something (often beer) can 'pull at' it or 'take a pull' at it.

b

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
'Fraid not. Draught beer (the word is related to 'drag') is pulled from the cask using a handle mounted on the bar-top; the handle is the lever of a pump, which draws[/U the beer up from the keg (which could be either under the bar or in the cellar)]. You can get something marketed as 'draught beer' in individual cans, but that's just marketing!

Incidentally, students may be interested to know that there's another use of 'pull' in this context. A person drinking something (often beer) can 'pull at' it or 'take a pull' at it.

b

I may have described the actual pulling process incorrectly, but my point was that "pulling a beer" or "pull me one" is strictly BrE. In AmE, even when asking for a draft beer (that is, one that is not canned or bottled) one would not refer to "pulling" it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.