English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi teachers,
Could this be a good definition for the underlined words? Is there a better one?
When you keep a record of something, you write it on a paper.

Thanks in advance

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
To "keep a record" means to preserve certain information so you can refer to it in the future. Normally you would write the information down but you can also keep a record of something in your head.
"Nobody had a pen so I had to keep a record in my head of how many pies we sold".
So your definition is too narrow.

not a teacher

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
To "keep a record" means to preserve certain information so you can refer to it in the future. Normally you would write the information down but you can also keep a record of something in your head.
"Nobody had a pen so I had to keep a record in my head of how many pies we sold".
So your definition is too narrow.

not a teacher
Hi JMurray,
Thank you for your reply. That's exactly what I thought, that you can also keep a record of something in your head.
I've asked this question because the other day I found this excercise in a book.

1. When you keep a record of something,
a. you remember it.
b. you tell someone.
c. you write it on a piece of paper.

I though that 'a' could also be possible. That's why I've asked. Then 'a' has to be changed for another one in order to stablish 'c' as the only possible one. Right?

L54

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
a. you remember it.
b. you tell someone.

Usually the point of "keeping a record in your head" is that you are preserving the information by deliberately remembering it for later recall. The problem with (a) is that it doesn't necessarily have that sense of remembering something on purpose, but could include anything that was remembered incidentally or even unconsciously, as with so much of what we experience.
It's worth adding that when we say we'll keep a record it would usually be assumed that we are keeping a written record.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
. . .But it needn't be written on 'a piece of paper'.

It could be recorded on any number of electronic devices such as a computer or mobile phone.

Rover

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Can you say you 'keep a record' in your head (post # 2 & 3)?
It sounds funny to me.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
We say you make a mental note of it.

Rover

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
a. you remember it.
b. you tell someone.

Usually the point of "keeping a record in your head" is that you are preserving the information by deliberately remembering it for later recall. The problem with (a) is that it doesn't necessarily have that sense of remembering something on purpose, but could include anything that was remembered incidentally or even unconsciously, as with so much of what we experience.
It's worth adding that when we say we'll keep a record it would usually be assumed that we are keeping a written record.
Hi JMurray,
Thank you for your reply. So what should I write after '... of something', in order to explain the meaning of 'keep a record'?
Thanks

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
. . .But it needn't be written on 'a piece of paper'.

It could be recorded on any number of electronic devices such as a computer or mobile phone.

Rover

Hi sir,
Thank you for your reply. So, could you please tell me what to write after '... of something', in order to explain the meaning of 'keep a record' in a short sentence?

Thanks

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi JMurray,
Thank you for your reply. That's exactly what I thought, that you can also keep a record of something in your head.
I've asked this question because the other day I found this excercise in a book.

a. you remember it.
b. you tell someone.

d you put it in some digital form (email, tweet...)
e you carve it on a desktop
f you engrave it on a block of stone
g you dictate a note into a tape recorder
h you make a footprint in the cement before it dries
... the possibilities are endless. ;-)

b

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
d you put it in some digital form (email, tweet...)
e you carve it on a desktop
f you engrave it on a block of stone
g you dictate a note into a tape recorder
h you make a footprint in the cement before it dries
... the possibilities are endless. ;-)

b

Hi BobK,
Thank you for your reply. I can see that the posibilities are endless, even in a funny way.:-D

Best,
L54

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi Teachers,
How about this one? Could you tell me if it is more appropriate?
When you keep a record of something, you are preserving information regularly so that you can refer to it later.

Thanks in advance

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Broadly (largamente) right, but I'm not sure what you mean by 'regularly'. And, as others have said, you can keep a mental record (the idiomatic expression is 'make a mental note'.

b

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Broadly (largamente) right, but I'm not sure what you mean by 'regularly'. And, as others have said, you can keep a mental record (the idiomatic expression is 'make a mental note'.

b

Hi BobK,
Thank you for your reply. Well, I guess If students 'keep a record' of something, let's say, about their language learning, they have to do it regularly rather that from time to time. Am I wrong? Should I omit the word 'regularly' from the definition then? :roll:
Broadly (En general, a grandes rasgos, en un sentido amplio) ;-)

Best,
L54

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks ;-) . Is largamente just wrong? Maybe it's archaic, or Latin American - I'm pretty sure I met it some[/]where!

Regularity is a good thing, I agree, but it's not an intrinsic part of making a written record. The word for keeping a regular record is archiving - but that's not what students do. Other words in this semantic area are logging (often used with computers - and of course backing up*) and keeping an audit trail/a paper trail (used in business).

*Before computers, 'backing up' meant, roughly. 'supporting'. It still means that in appropriate contexts.

b

Last edited:

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Thanks ;-) . Is largamente just wrong? Maybe it's archaic, or Latin American - I'm pretty sure I met it some[/]where!

Regularity is a good thing, I agree, but it's not an intrinsic part of making a written record. The word for keeping a regular record is archiving - but that's not what students do. Other words in this semantic area are logging (often used with computers - and of course backing up*) and keeping an audit trail/a paper trail (used in business).

*Before computers, 'backing up' meant, roughly. 'supporting'. I still means that in appropriate contexts.

b
Thank you for your reply and aditional information.:-D
Is largamente just wrong? Yes. In this case it is.
Synonyms in English for largamente: for a long time, at lenght.
Ex. Éste será un día largamente recordado.
I think in English is, 'This day will long be remembered'.
I hope it makes sense.:roll:

Best,
L54

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: So it's a bit like the fossilized 'large' that we see in the idiom 'writ large' (which originally meant 'at length' rather than 'with emphasis'). The quotation I recall (Swift?... not sure) is 'New "presbyter" is but old "priest" writ large.'

b

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
:up: So it's a bit like the fossilized 'large' that we see in the idiom 'writ large' (which originally meant 'at length' rather than 'with emphasis'). The quotation I recall (Swift?... not sure) is 'New "presbyter" is but old "priest" writ large.'

b
Hi BobK,
The quotation I recall (Swift?... not sure) is 'New "presbyter" is but old "priest" writ large.' 'Writ large' here is similar to 'more obvious'?
So sorry, but the sentence goes beyond my understanding in English.:oops:

Best,
L54

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi BobK,
The quotation I recall (Swift?... not sure) is 'New "presbyter" is but old "priest" writ large.' 'Writ large' here is similar to 'more obvious'?
So sorry, but the sentence goes beyond my understanding in English.:oops:

Best,
L54

It was a long time ago, when a new branch of Christianity called 'presbyterianism' was becoming popular. The writer was saying 'The new ministers called "Presbyters" are just [this is an old meaning of 'but' - see https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/...e-no-good-earth-sin-but-name.html#post840428] the same as what we have already - known as "priest". The words are just a bit longer.'

b

Last edited:

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Status