[Grammar] How to make a category with grammatically correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Williamyh

Member Type
Other
Dear Teachers,

Currently I would like to make the categories for computer folders, but I don't know how to make it correctly, I mean I should use plural form for folder name or singular name for folder name. For instance,

Game, Application, Utility, Dictionary, Book

or

Games, Applications, Utilities, Dictionaries, Books

Please advise how I should do.

W

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Dear Teachers,

Currently I would like to make name the categories for computer folders, but I don't know how to make it correctly, I mean I should use plural form for folder name or singular name for folder name. For instance,

Game, Application, Utility, Dictionary, Book

or

Games, Applications, Utilities, Dictionaries, Books

Please advise how I should do.

W

Games, Applications, Utilities, Dictionaries, Books - obviously they are countable

not a teacher

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Logically, the plural makes sense where a noun is countable because folders are for grouping files, but it's a personal choice and there's no right or wrong in the names IMO.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Logically, the plural makes sense where a noun is countable because folders are for grouping files, but it's a personal choice and there's no right or wrong in the names IMO.

I agree on it being personal choice. My personal choice is for plurals (mostly) though of course with uncountables (work, personal, etc) they stay in the singular.

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
It's OK to have a folder on 'Music' but in a folder where you keep lots of songs, it sounds odd to name it 'Song' doesn't it?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It does to me, but it's just a folder name and if you have folders within folders, you may wish to dispense with grammatical points to save space for long filenames.

Status
Not open for further replies.