Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Sweden
Hi

A lady tells a certain man that she met her neighbour this morning. The man was surprised and told her that that neighbour (Mrs Tina) is a very talkative person and if somebody comes to her house she does everything to keep that person at her place as long as she can.

He says to her: I wonder, having met you, that she hasn’t installed you in her spare room.

I'm not sure I understand this sentence.
Is he saying: Since I met you I understand that she hasn't told you to move into her spare room.

shroob

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hi

A lady tells a certain man that she met her neighbour this morning. The man was surprised and told her that that neighbour (Mrs Tina) is a very talkative person and if somebody comes to her house she does everything to keep that person at her place as long as she can.

He says to her: I wonder, having met you, that she hasn’t installed you in her spare room.

I'm not sure I understand this sentence.
Is he saying: Since I met you I understand that she hasn't told you to move into her spare room.

Not a teacher only a native.

From the context, I would say that the man is surprised that Mrs. Tina let the lady get away so easily, due to Mrs Tina having a reputation for being talkative. The man was commenting on Mrs. Tina's reputation of keeping people talking and not letting them leave.

If you 'install' something, you put something in place (much like you 'install' a computer programme'). I would also say that the man probably said this in a joking manner.

I hope this clears it up, if not please say so and I will try and explain it better.

GUEST2008

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Sweden
Hi

Actually I was trying to paraphrase these words.
Was my paraphrasing bad?

Since I met you I understand that she hasn't told you to move into her spare room

shroob

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hi

Actually I was trying to paraphrase these words.
Was my paraphrasing bad?

Since I met you I understand that she hasn't told you to move into her spare room

Not a teacher only a native.

It might just be me, but your paraphrasing doesn't quite fit with the context of the conversation, in my opinion.

The man could be saying: I'm surprised, having met you, that the woman (Mrs. Tina) hasn't asked you to move in!

Again, this would probably be said jokingly.

Like I said at the beginning, I'm not a teacher only a native, maybe someone with more experience will help out.

GUEST2008

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Sweden
Ok. But does the phrase "having met you" refers to the man or to the woman?

I'm surprised that she met you and hasn't asked you to move in

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Ok. But does the phrase "having met you" refers to the man or to the woman?

I'm surprised that she met you and hasn't asked you to move in
That's ambiguous, more context would probably make it clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.