Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hi! Is it ok for informal speech to replace around with round and vice versa in phrasal verbs like that:

no fooling 'round (instead of 'fooling around')
come 'round (instead of 'come around')

?

Thanks

AlexAD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
United States
I am not a teacher nor a native speaker.

Here is the excerpt from the OALD, 8th edition:

Around and round can often be used with the same meaning in BrE, though around is more formal:

1. The earth goes round/around the sun.
2. They live round/around the corner.
3. We travelled round/around India.
4. She turned round/around when I came in.

In NAmE only around can be used in these meanings.

Around, round and about can also sometimes be used with the same meaning in BrE.

1. The kids were running around/round/about outside.
2. I've been waiting around/round/about to see her all day.

In NAmE only around can be used in these meanings.

About or around can be used in both BrE and NAmE to mean 'approximately': We left around/about 8 o'clock.

I hope, this will help you.

P.S. Dear moderators, could you please add a pop-up tip for the contraction of NAmE if you can.

Thanks, Alex.

Last edited:

b.a.d.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Well, thanks a lot, pal :up:))) But I'd better like to know what native speakers think about whether there's principal difference between 'around' and 'round' in informal speech.
Thanks

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I'd [STRIKE]better like to [/STRIKE] rather know what native speakers think about whether there's [STRIKE]principal[/STRIKE] a real difference between 'around' and 'round' in informal speech.
Well, I am a native speaker of BrE, and I agree with the editors of the ALD, who are also native speakers.

Note that we do not write 'round. Round is a word in its own right in modern English, not a short form of around.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
@ b.a.d.

Be careful with "Well, thanks a lot, pal". It can give the impression that you are implying, "Thanks for nothing" = "That was no help".

AlexAD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
United States
@ b.a.d.

Be careful with "Well, thanks a lot, pal". It can give the impression that you are implying, "Thanks for nothing" = "That was no help".

5jdjon, is it because of the leading well? Otherwise I would not be sensible untill I have heard this being told with irony in a voice.

I would be grateful if you would correct my grammar in the post.

Thanks, Alex.

SirGod

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
*Not a teacher

I avoid using the structure "thanks a lot" which, as fivejedjon said, can imply irony. Example:

F: Hey, I have bad news and good news.
B: Tell me both in one sentence.
F: Your car's airbags work!
B: Great, thanks a lot, now I have to go to work on foot.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
5jdjon, is it because of the leading well? Otherwise I would not be sensible untill I have heard this being told with irony in a voice.
The 'well' and the 'pal' increase the chance of sarcasm. Just 'Thanks a lot' is not sarcastic - unless the intonation tells us that it is .

Otherwise I would not be sensible untill I have heard this being told with irony in a voice.

I think you mean: I would not be aware of this unless I could detect irony in the tone .

In modern English, sensible normally means "able to make good judgements based on reason and experience rather than emotion; practical". (ALD)

AlexAD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
United States
I agree it can. And sometimes it's quite obvious to see.
But at the same time how would you express your booming feelings if you didn't use 'Thanks, a lot. Thank you very much. et cetera?

I think that depends on how the person is feeling about it ;-)

AlexAD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
United States
Otherwise I would not be sensible untill I have heard this being told with irony in a voice.

I think you mean: I would not be aware of this unless I could detect irony in the tone .

In modern English, sensible normally means "able to make good judgements based on reason and experience rather than emotion; practical". (ALD)

Yes, 5jdjon, I do. Thank you for your correction. I used 'sensible' in the meaning of 'aware of sth' that is under the point #3 in the OALD. Here, they give us an example, 'I am sensible of the fact that mathematics is not a popular subject'. Now, I'll rather use your variant.

Thanks, Alex.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I used 'sensible' in the meaning of 'aware of sth' that is under the point #3 in the OALD. Here, they give us an example, 'I am sensible of the fact that mathematics is not a popular subject'. Now, I'll rather use your variant.
Definition #3 is correct, but perhaps old-fashioned for most speakers today. The dictionary gives the note "formal or literary".

AlexAD

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
United States
Thank you, for having stressed that. Some entries in the dictionary marked as old-fashioned while the others marked as formal or literaly. But I recognize that the time changes some things fast and native speakers' comments are a great help.

Thanks, Alex.

b.a.d.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Guys, thank you for clearing up two topics at once! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.