Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Is the below text grammatically correct?

Our Safety officer arrived at Samsung gate for training around 12:45pm, but your securities haven't allowed. They also requested a Samsung representative to come at the gate and take him in. When he communicated to me, I unable to contacted you over phone. He tried twice at Samsung security gate with the relevant gate pass / an email copy, but they refused to allow him inside. Finally, he returned back at 2:30pm.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is the below text grammatically correct?

Our Safety Officer arrived at the Samsung gate for training around 12:45pm, but [STRIKE]your[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]securities[/STRIKE] security [STRIKE]haven't allowed[/STRIKE] didn't allow him entry/access/through. They [STRIKE]also[/STRIKE] requested that a Samsung representative [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] come [STRIKE]at[/STRIKE] ​to the gate and take him in. When he [STRIKE]communicated to[/STRIKE] contacted me, I was unable to [STRIKE]contacted[/STRIKE] contact you over the phone. He tried twice at the Samsung security gate with [strike]the[/strike] an email copy of the relevant gate pass [STRIKE] / an email copy,[/STRIKE] but they refused to allow him inside. [STRIKE]Finally,[/STRIKE] He returned [STRIKE]back[/STRIKE] at 2:30pm.

See above for corrections.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes. Good corrections!

It would sound more natural to write something like:

- I couldn't reach you by phone.
- I tried phoning but didn't reach you.
- I phoned you, but you weren't there.
- I tried calling but couldn't reach you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If I were writing the whole thing from scratch, I would probably use something like your alternatives. However, in the first instance, I always try to stick as closely as possible to the OP's version.

It should be noted that "I phoned you but you weren't there" has a different meaning from the other three suggested sentences.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, absolutely! I always try to do that, too, but you'd already done it. I often offer alternatives so students become familiar with conversational phrases. They don't always mean exactly the same thing, but I do aim for the same general meaning.

Didn't mean to sound like I was correcting you. Your work was exactly right!

Status
Not open for further replies.