Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
This is discussing the need of developing the skills of each other between IT and Marketing.
1. The translation for "communications" goes "telecommunication", but considering the whole context, it does seem to mean "promotion or advertising". Doesn't it?
2. What does "enabler" here mean? As the dictionary definition "to ruin someone by helping him with bad things like gambling" or a general meaning of "something that enables other fields to achieve their goal"?

is58
ex)There is much discussion about the integration of the computer and communications industries, but within an organization, two departments, IT and Marketing, have been disconnected. The one was immersed in technical knowhow and systems maintenance, the other in a mostly outward orientation towards markets and customers..IT is no longer just an enabler. It becomes a primary route to market. It cannot stay in a back office concerning itself with systems maintenance or arcane developments...In a similar fashion, marketers must become technically literate...

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
This is discussing the need of developing the skills of each other between IT and Marketing.
1. The translation for "communications" goes "telecommunication", but considering the whole context, it does seem to mean "promotion or advertising". Doesn't it?
No. The marketing department within an industry is concerned with promotion or advertising.
2. What does "enabler" here mean? As the dictionary definition "to ruin someone by helping him with bad things like gambling" or a general meaning of "something that enables other fields to achieve their goal"?
Come, come, keannu. Is there the slightest possibility of your first meaning being relevant here?

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thanks, But sorry, typing too fast, I missed "the integration of ", and if we also consider this, I think it means "combining computer field(IT) and "communications field(marketing). But does it mean "computer and communications(telecommunication) industries)? I think not as there seems to be nothing to integrate in terms of the two similar industries.

ex)There is much discussion about the integration of the computer and communications industries, but within an organization, two departments, IT and Marketing, have been disconnected

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
"to ruin someone by helping him with bad things like gambling"

If the text were about the corrupting and negative effects of IT, the meaning might be possible, but not here.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thanks a lot! But I'm more interested in the first question after revising the writing.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thanks a lot! But I'm more interested in the first question after revising the writing.
My response is the same as before.

Status
Not open for further replies.