Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi guys I'm Sammy from China and I've been teaching myself English for a long time. Recently I wrote two essays (I'm not sure if they can be called as such properly) anyway because I teach myself, sometimes I find it really difficult to pick out my own mistakes, so I was wondering if you could help me and perhaps point them out, thank you very much, have a nice day.

here are the assays

1 On Beauty

Such is the magnanimity of Providence that I*ve found it indeed a blessing, that an individual however destitute and lonely and however reduced his circumstances may be in general, can still enjoy himself now and then, other than through the practice of "self-abuse", by the exertion of his intellect alone.

If I ask you now, my invisible reader, "what is the definition of beauty?", would you think it is in your power to provide me - a weary traveller, with an answer that is to my satisfaction? Since it is not only fair but natural that I should carry out my own inquiry before putting to the reader the question, I will now relate to you all my little discoveries and their consequences.

It is often on occasions like this, that people like me come to realise just how impotent, intellectually, they really are. This desire to furnish myself and, perhaps others with a better comprehension of "beauty" has been brewing inside my mind for so long that I can hardly remember how it was originally excited. But nevertheless, my better nature prevailed in the end, and luckily or unluckily, my thoughts have been consistent enough as to permit me to put them down in writing.

It would have been completely dishonest of me if I had failed to mention the fact that, for clarity I've turned to dictionary for help. Ha, how stupid of you to have believed me just now? I have mentioned that fact, not because I am honest or scrupulous but simply because I could not have done so without being sussed out and be seen as what I really am - a liar.

So according to Oxford dictionary, Beauty is "That quality or combination of qualities which delights the senses or mental faculties;esp. that combination of shape, colour, and proportion which is pleasing to the eye." This explanation was more than sufficient for me to proceed with my inquiry, and I've asked myself and now I ask the reader - if he is still with me and, willing to bear with me to see to the end of this intriguing or, if you prefer nonsensical journey - what makes something delightful and pleasing to the senses and separates it from the dull which is common?

In my endeavour to answer these questions, I've had to turn to three other crucial words and their definitions the last of which, it seems to me is of the greatest importance and will lead us to the truth we have been seeking. They are: Pleasure; Joy; and Gratitude. They are distinctive, in that Pleasure emphasizes sensuality, Joy spirituality(For it refreshes your spirit, hence "a beautiful game"), and Gratitude connection to God(I am no follower of Jesus, what I mean by God is more in the sense of Providence). In other words, the body, the mind, and the soul. Beauty, clearly, is the combination, and harmony of shape; colour, and proportion". When we say, something or someone is beautiful, in fact we are expressing our gratitude to God, to communicate to him our appreciation of his finest work - us. We see that we might observe, we observe that we might perceive, and when we discern the truth we realise that everything is but a representation of something truer and more fundamental.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Re: Such is the magnaminity of Providence

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Your post is far too long for us to deal with. Please click on Edit Post and remove Essay #2 from your post. Click Save. Then start a new thread for Essay #2. Please give that essay a title like "The US is run by a commercial dynasty - Essay" or something similar.

Note that I have changed the title of your first post to a more relevant one.

All these posts should be in the "Editing and Writing Topics" section of the forum, not "Ask A Teacher". I have moved this one to the relevant section.

sammyjankis

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Re: Such is the magnaminity of Providence

:)Pleased to meet you and thanks for your help, that's very kind of you, appreciated!

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1 On Beauty

Such is the magnanimity of Providence that I*ve found it indeed a blessing, that an individual however destitute and lonely and however reduced his circumstances are, can still enjoy himself now and then, other than through the practice of "self-abuse", by the exertion of his intellect alone.

That's optimistic.
:up:

Status
Not open for further replies.