Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello,

I'm having difficulty phrasing instructions for a role play for elementary /pre-int students. They have to plan their own health farm. What I've come up so far is:

Work with your partner.
1. Think of a name for your health farm. What is it called?
2. Decide on the location of the farm. Is it in the city centre, in the suburbs or in the countryside?
3. Agree on the timetable for each day. What do your guests do in the morning, in the afternoon and in the evening?
4. Decide what food your guests eat and what exercise your guests do.
5. Don't forget to mention the price. How much does the course cost?
6. Present your health farm to the class. // Act out your presentation // read out your presentation ??

I'm most unhappy with Nos 1 and 6. Should I perhaps write "present your project"? Can the whole activity be described as a 'presentation'?

Thank you.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Your instructions are clear enough, but perhaps a little wordy for learners at that level. I have suggested some cuts:
Work with your partner.
1. [STRIKE]Think of a name for your health farm[/STRIKE]. What is [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE]your health farm called?
2. [STRIKE]Decide on the location of the farm.[/STRIKE]Where is it? [STRIKE]( Is it [/STRIKE]in the city centre, [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] the suburbs or [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] the countryside?)
3. [STRIKE]Agree on the timetable for each day[/STRIKE]. What do your guests do in the morning, [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] the afternoon and [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] the evening?
4. [STRIKE]Decide [/STRIKE]what [STRIKE]food[/STRIKE] will your guests eat?
what exercise will your guests
[STRIKE]do[/STRIKE]get/have?.
5. [STRIKE]Don't forget to mention the price[/STRIKE]. How much does the course cost?
6. Present your health farm to the class. // Act out your presentation // read out your presentation ??

I'm most unhappy with Nos 1 and 6. Should I perhaps write "present your project"? Cut #6 altogether. You have already, presumably, told them that they must design a health farm and present their ideas to their colleagues.
Can the whole activity be described as a 'presentation'?Yes, IMO.

Verona_82

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
Thank you, 5jj, but may I know why you've crossed out all the affirmative sentences and left only questions? WHat'ts the reasoning behind?

I'm also curious about the verb 'present'. Is it possible - well, in some other circumstances maybe - to present the thing itself - a health farm, a language school, a restaurant, whatever, when doing a role play or is it only "present the details of..."?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thank you, 5jj, but may I know why you've crossed out all the affirmative sentences and left only questions? WHat'ts the reasoning behind this?
Simply brevity. I believe that the shorter instructions are, the better - so long as they are clear. Generally speaking, instructions are not part of the learning process; they are a way of enabling learning.

I go for, "
[STRIKE]I would like you, please to get[/STRIKE] into pairs, [STRIKE]and then ask each other questions to[/STRIKE] find out your partner's favourite television programmes".
I'm also curious about the verb 'present'. Is it possible - well, in some other circumstances maybe - to present the thing itself - a health farm, a language school, a restaurant, whatever, when doing a role play or is it only "present the details of..."?
I wrote "... present their ideas...". I think, however, that it is perfectly acceptable to present your health farm, etc.

Verona_82

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
Thank you! I can go to bed and sleep peacefully now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.