Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Are the words phrase/expression/collocation synonyms? Are they interchangeable?
I think that 'to go for a walk', for example, can be called either 'a phrase' or 'an expression' or 'a collocation'. Am I right?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Ask Are the words "phrase", "expression", and "collocation" synonyms? It's important to separate words and phrases you're discussing from those that are part of your own text. I've used double quotes, which is the usual American usage, but you can also use single quotes or italics.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
No and no. Those terms are used to for different purposes.

Yes.
Sorry, teechar, I didn't get it, you say 'no' and then you say 'yes'.:roll:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You asked three questions in post #1. Teechar gave the three responses to those three questions.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
You asked three questions in post #1. Teechar gave the three responses to those three questions.

But I can't make it out how it can be that 'to go for a walk' can be called either 'a phrase' or 'an expression' or 'a collocation', and yet these words are not interchangeable.

As far as I understand 'a phrase' and 'an expression' are almost complete synonyms, right?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
But I can't make it out how it can be that 'to go for a walk' can be called either 'a phrase' or 'an expression' or 'a collocation', and yet these words are not interchangeable.
I don't follow your logic here! :shock:
E.g.,
Jesus was a man.
Jesus was a Jew.
Jesus was a pacifist.
Are the words in blue interchangeable?

As far as I understand 'a phrase' and 'an expression' are almost complete synonyms, right?
No. "Phrase" is a grammatical structure.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I use phrase very loosely to mean any word or string of words that can in some way be recognised as a unit of lexis. (Not just in the grammatical sense of verb phrases and noun phrases, etc.)

I don't really use the word expression at all when teaching (or talking about teaching). Many teachers would instead use the terms 'idiom' or '(semi-)fixed phrase', depending on the case.

Collocation is the instance of words frequently occurring together. For example, the phrase for a walk will often be preceded by the verb go, so we can call this a 'collocation' of verb phrase and preposition phrase.

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I use phrase very loosely to mean any word or string of words that can in some way be recognised as a unit of lexis. (Not just in the grammatical sense of verb phrases and noun phrases, etc.)

I don't really use the word expression at all when teaching (or talking about teaching). Many teachers would instead use the terms 'idiom' or '(semi-)fixed phrase', depending on the case.

Collocation is the instance of words frequently occurring together. For example, the phrase for a walk will often be preceded by the verb go, so we can call this a 'collocation' of verb phrase and preposition phrase.

Then with the meaning of "expression" you've described, we can't say that "to go for a walk" is an expression, because it is not an idiom, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.