Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Does this underlined mean two types of persons like "a handsome figure without character," and "a figure with fine features unbeautified by sentiment or good nature"? or just one person?
I think "character, fine features" part is ambiguous to understand.

st51)No wise person will marry for beauty mainly...But to marry a handsome figure without character, fine features unbeautified by sentiment or good nature, is the most miserable of mistakes...

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Does this underlined mean two types of persons like "a handsome figure without character," and "a figure with fine features unbeautified by sentiment or good nature"? or just one person?
I think "character, fine features" part is ambiguous to understand.

st51)No wise person will marry for beauty manly...But to marry a handsome figure without character, fine features unbeautified by sentiment or good nature, is the most miserable of mistakes...

It means one person.

JoelTC

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, it is ambiguous, but as a professional writer, I can tell you that the majority of literary writers will twist the rules of the English language to make it sound prettier. For example, in the sentence you cited, several words are implied (that is, left out intentionally). They are: "...a handsome figure without character, [STRIKE]whose[/STRIKE] fine features [STRIKE]are[/STRIKE] unbeautified by sentiment or good nature..."

Hope that helps.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm assuming there is a typo somewhere in "No wise person will marry for beauty manly ..."

Status
Not open for further replies.