Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It is often seen in Chinese people's compositions "with the development of (technology etc.)" . One of my teachers once said that it was improper to use like this. Is it Chinglish? If yes, please tell me the correct usage.
THX in advance:)

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
It is often seen in Chinese people's compositions "with the development of (technology etc.)" . One of my teachers once said that it was improper to use like this. Is it Chinglish? If yes, please tell me the correct usage.
THX in advance:)

I don't see anything wrong/improper with the phrase, it's how you use it in a sentence that matters. However, certain phrases in English are often redundant and cliched e.g.

as a matter of fact
as you are aware
be that as it may

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I agree- it's fine as a phrase, but could you give an example or two because it does depend how it's used.

caronmi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I see. thank you so much;-)

caronmi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
thank you for your answer and examples!~they do help me a lot! P.S. you're the first one who replied my first post ^^

caronmi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
dear editor, i just discovered this forum by chance today. and I am very excited that i've got such a quick and helpful respond. i've shared this forum on my homepage so as to let my friends make good use of it when learning english.
as for that phrase, one typical example we usually use is, "with the development of science and technology, people are leading a more comfortable life than before." is it correct? thank you again

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
dear editor, i just discovered this forum by chance today. and I am very excited that i've got such a quick and helpful respond. i've shared this forum on my homepage so as to let my friends make good use of it when learning english.
as for that phrase, one typical example we usually use is, "with the development of science and technology, people are leading a more comfortable life than before." is it correct? thank you again
It would be better with "...leading more comfortable lives..."

Status
Not open for further replies.