Interested in Language
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Hello Everyone,

I've just found your site and very pleased to be here, especially after reading a few posts and replies.

Actually I am not a teacher yet, but I really keen on teaching English to Young Learners. Therefore I got two certificates of TKT 1 (Band 3) and TKT 2 (Band 2). Now I am planning to get a certificate of TKT YLE.

My question is that if these certificates are sufficient to be able to teach or will I have to get more than that?

Actually one of the reason to teach English is to learn it better and I really know that being teacher is not so easy and it needs you should devote yourself to this deep area.

I will appreciate you, if you give me your open and honest suggestions.

Thank you in advance and best regards,

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Welcome to the forum. :hi:

In which country to you plan to teach English?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Some people might regard it as enough, but many may not. It is said to be a foundation for the CELTA, which is the standard qualification sought.

incoz

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Thank you all for your kind responses and warm greetings.

I live in Izmir,Turkiye and for now I am planning to have a few students in here to check myself first how I am or am not succesful as an instructor.
( I prefer to use this word instead of a teacher, since I am thinking of using sets like ODI from Pearson Publication in lessons.)

And of course these lessons will be small groups of children for 6 (max.) at one time. I don't think that I will be able to manage bigger classes well
because I have no any previous experiences in this area as a teacher.

If I feel comfortable and be sure that I can really do it efficiently, then my aim is to go to a Greek island or any other Mediterranean country.
And I guess CELTA or TESOL is a big issue for me.

May be this explanation is more clear about my question.

Thanks again for your best suggestions on my thought, should I forget about that idea?

J

J&K Tutoring

If the financials can work, I'd start even smaller- no more than two at a time so you can focus on teaching content. As soon as you have three, then discipline becomes an issue. Someone is always goofing off.

incoz

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
If the financials can work, I'd start even smaller- no more than two at a time so you can focus on teaching content. As soon as you have three, then discipline becomes an issue. Someone is always goofing off.

I'll take into consideration and hope financials will be managable.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
my aim is to go to a Greek island or any other Mediterranean country.
And I guess CELTA or TESOL is a big issue for me.

EU states are awash with native speakers and other EU citizens with the CELTA, so, unless they're pretty off the beaten track islands, you may find yourself up against stiff opposition. Does Turkey have employment agreements with the EU? If not, it may be tough. Many US teachers are surprised at how hard it is to find work because they're up against EU applicants who have automatic legal advantages.

incoz

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Your replies are very precious for me since I had no idea on these issues.

To be honest I was considering it will be easier when I get a set of well-equipped training materials such as pc, good-books with cds, supported lessons with video games that parents can join their children. More over I never think of looking for a job as an employer. My plan is giving private lessons in fact if it's possible.

That's why I will test it in Turkiye first, then I will move abroad may be to Greece or may be to Morocco :)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Your replies are very precious for me since I had no idea [STRIKE]on[/STRIKE] about these issues.

To be honest, I [STRIKE]was considering[/STRIKE] think it will be easier when I get a set of [STRIKE]well-equipped[/STRIKE] good training materials such as a [STRIKE]pc[/STRIKE] PC, good (no hyphen here) books with [STRIKE]cds[/STRIKE] CDs, supported lessons with video games that parents can [STRIKE]join[/STRIKE] do with their children. [STRIKE]More over[/STRIKE] Moreover/Also, I never [STRIKE]think[/STRIKE] thought of looking for a job as an employer. In fact, my plan is [STRIKE]giving[/STRIKE] to give private lessons [STRIKE]in fact[/STRIKE] if it's possible.

That's why I will test it in [STRIKE]Turkiye[/STRIKE] Turkey first, then I will move abroad, [STRIKE]may be[/STRIKE] maybe to Greece or [STRIKE]may be[/STRIKE] maybe to Morocco. [STRIKE]:)[/STRIKE]

See above. You need to work on your English a little more if you are going to teach English to others. As has previously been said, there will be working visa issues with many countries you might like to work in.

incoz

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I got it.
Thanks and kind regards,

MacoHill

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Colombia
Current Location
UK
Hi!

Being 53 years old is not a problem at all. More and more seniors are attending TEFL lessons to be able to teach English to foreigners in the UK or abroad.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
What matters is their employability at the end. Numbers on courses doesn't prove anything. Ageism in ESL is some countries is open and fairly widespread.

Status
Not open for further replies.